Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

What is the cause of a collapsed colon and can it be treated

Customer Question

What is the cause of a collapsed colon and can it be treated? A relative of mine was diagnosised with this and he has numerous bowel movements a day and the doctors here say there's nothing else they can do to stop thes bowel movements. Please help
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello
There is no such disease as collapsed colon
A collapsed colon would mean that it had no air and would normally mean a bowel obstruction higher up.

It can also mean that there is colitis or inflammation of the colon and the peristalsis is not normal...but this is a misuse of the term.

Has he seen a Gi specialist outside of the hospital
Did he have infection?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When he was taken to the emergency room his temperature was very low and they said this was caused by urinary tract infection. after being hospitalized they did a colon exam because of his frequent and loose bowel movements. Yes the doctor was a Gi and all they told us was his colon was inflated and she deflated it and that it had collapsed and that there wasn't anything else she could do.

OK
so this was something they caused
And he is still having bowel movements, no blood etc?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes he is still having bowel movements and this has been on going since Oct. 2010. There is no blood but most of the time it's something clear like mucus. I'm in Georgia.

OK
So can you tell me the diet in detail?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Low Fat diet
What specific foods
Give me a typical day
simply use reply to respond