Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

what does it mean if a definitive diagnosis has been estab

what does it mean if a definitive diagnosis has been established

A definitive diagnosis means you have come to the actual diagnosis after doing a workup.

To try to explain better, when a patient comes into the office complaining of a sore throat, at first the physician does not know the actual cause of the sore throat.
The physician formulates a differential diagnosis, which would be the following:

1. Strep throat
2. Mono
3. Viral

In order to reach the definitive, or true, diagnosis, a culture of the throat and blood tests may be done.
If a strep screen is positive, then the physician has the definitive diagnosis: strep pharyngitis.

Let me know if you need more clarifiication,

Dr Abby

If you are satisified with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!