Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist

I have hot skin but no fever. In fact, I usually have a fairly low basal body temperature

Customer Question

I have hot skin but no fever. In fact, I usually have a fairly low basal body temperature, generally right around 97.0. I have had lots of other minor complaints lately but I can't explain this one. It's possible that my throat also burns when I have this, it does right now, can't say for sure if that is always the case. What is it?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.

Greetings.

What is your age and gender?

Do you have heartburn, food reflux?

Any significant past medical history or surgery?

Do you have night sweats?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Female, 39

I do have heartburn and acid reflux to the point of coughing

Only surgery was to remove wisdom teeth as a teen.

Only treatment was for chronic allergies. 6 years of immunotherapy did not have lasting affect. It helped only while receiving treatment.

No night sweats. I feel cold, especially when i'm tired. I seem to be sensitive to hot and cold. I had to get a heating pad for my cold feet last night but when I exercise I'm almost instantly deep red in the face and takes forever to cool down after.

Your symptoms warrants an estimation of thyroid hormone. An hormonal dysfunction of thyroid can be responsible for your symptoms. Another possibility is gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). A severe GERD causes autonomic nervous system stimulation which in turn increases the feeling of hot skin by affecting the skin capillaries / arteries. Throat burning is because of GERD (acid reflux). Following measures would be helpful for GERD;

1) antacids; Maalox
2) acid blocker; Prilosec
3) loosing weight, if overweight.
4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products
5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.
6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.
7) elevate head end of the be by 8 inches.

An upper gastrointestinal endoscopy would diagnose GERD. A treatment for GERD resolve the throat burning and stimulation of the autonomic nervous system. Which in turn will help in feeling hot.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist your further, if you need any more information.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience: MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX considered that it could be a new variation of GERD, I will keep it in mind and watch for any corrolation in symptoms..

I don't know why i didn't consider thyroid as a possibility. Maybe because I don't feel hot, just my skin is hot. I seem to have a lot of little annoyances that make doctors think of thyroid first but general blood work comes back within normal range and none of the doctors have cared to test further. i have had the hot skin come and go for a year or two now so I didn't associate it with my blood pressure being oddly high lately, I suppose that could be related.

That will be question for the next time -- what can all of these little symptoms add up to be? They are getting worse and affecting my quality of life. I hope not to hear depression again.

Thank you. Your answer has renewed my determination to have my thyroid function tested further. If the doctor chooses to delay testing I'll have it done privately at the lab.

You are very welcome.

You can ask your doctor to get TSH, T3, T4, free T3, free T4 done, instead of getting only TSH (which is routine). This is likely to give more insight to the problem. You may also consider getting sleep study for sleep apnea if your symptoms aggravate in the night time.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun