Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

should i be concerned if my blood pressure is 140/85

should i be concerned if my blood pressure is 140/85?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 years ago.

If it is a single reading at this level, the only necessary response is to check it several more times over several days. If it is an isolated occurrence, there is no concern. If the blood pressure is consistently at this level, this is considered borderline, as the threshold for being considered high blood pressure is 140/90. If the blood pressure is consistently at this level, the current initial recommendation is lifestyle management for 2-3 months to see if the blood pressure can be lowered. Lifestyle management means eating a healthy, low-fat, low-salt diet, regular aerobic exercise, and quitting smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol, and losing excess weight, if appropriate.