Dr Singh
Dr Singh, Doctor
Experience:  Physician
10798432

My left arm and leg feel numb and tingling on and off

My left arm and leg feel numb and tingling.

It is on and off, more in the arm than in the leg. My left hand was a bit painful, but the pain was gone after a few minutes.

Should I see a doctor right away?

These symptoms indicate a possibility of a TIA (Transient Ischemic Attack) or mini-stroke. I would recommend seeing a doctor asap to get checked, preferably in the ER.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I had the tingling symptoms last evening for 1-2 hrs, I slept well during the night.

After approximately 2 hrs since I woke up, I felt the numbness again, but symptoms disappeared during the day. They came on again 2 hrs ago.

Now I have some point pain in my left shoulder and my left hand is colder. I am also i person that worries about everything. Been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis +20 years ago, but today the doctor said they don't have all the pieces for this diagnostic.

X ray to the left hip says femoral acetabular impingement of picer -type

some blood results: anti-nuclear antibody is positive, moderate to mild vit D deficiency, RBC are low

Considering this additional information, this may not be TIA, but it's still a possibility.

Other possible causes are pinched nerves, medication side effects, anxiety disorder etc. You should benefit from anxiety treatment.

But you do need to see your doctor soon to get some tests done to rule out TIA. If your symptoms worsen, going to the ER will be recommended.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Does the x-ray finding have anything to do with my left arm and hand? Does the numbness and tingling come and goes in a TIA case?

Femoroacetabular impingement of Pincer type is unlikely to be related to your recent symptoms.
In TIA, numbness usually comes and last for few minutes to few hours. But repeated attacks in just few days are not usual.
Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is left arm and leg typical for TIA? What are other symtoms common beside the numbness? Can the tingling and numbness exist by itsself in a TIA? Going to ER will take 4-6hrs and I am trying to figure out if how urgent it is. Let me know if you need addtional info.
TIA can involve any organ or part of the body. Usually in case of local nerve involvement, numbness and tingling is only in one limb, such as only in arm or only in leg. If both arm and leg on one side are involved, the problem is likely to be in the brain, such as TIA, anxiety etc.