Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  28 years of excellence in delivery of internal medicine/family practice care and service.

how long can i expect to live with stage 3 kidney failure

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 5 years ago.

I don't generally answer a question for $10 (nor will anyone else). However, I can't sleep and if you'll answer a few more questions I will help give you an accurate answer.

a) How old are you?

b) How long have you had kidney disease?

c) What is you exact diagnosis, i.e. what is the cause of your kidney disease? What did your doctor say is causing it?

d) What therapies are you on?

e) What other medical problems are you dealing with?

As soon as I hear back from you with answers I will give you some statistics that may help.

Kind regards,

Dr. Frank MD
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i`m 54, i dont know how long i`ve had it, my doc says its from high blood pressure, i`m not on any therapies yet, i have osteoporosis, moderate emphazema, hypothyroidism
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 5 years ago.

This is a very difficult question to answer as there are many therapies for your disease.

Do you know what your serum creatinine level is? Do you know what your creatinine clearance is in 24 hours? These would all factor into the equation.

In addition, it is also dependent upon whether you elect on dialysis, kidney transplant etc. There are really too many variables to give any near exact answer. Is your hypertension under you have other adverse effects from your hypertension? And so on. These are all questions and concerns that probably your nephrologist knows about and could answer for you.

I wish I could be more specific but this type of problem is not easily answered. It would really just come down to a guess. That would not be fair to you.

I wish you the very best,

Dr Frank MD

P.S. Please keep me informed. Send an update should you have any news regarding our discussion. Just direct it to Dr. Frank MD. I will appreciate it.