Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

Hello my breath smells like a sewer, it is very embarrassing,

Hello my breath smells like a sewer, it is very embarrassing, I get regular dentist visits, I brush 3x a day, use mouthwash, chew gum and mints but to no avail, I cant really smell it myself but others can, and they either hold there noses when I talk or say little snide remarks, So I tend to be very quiet and let people walk over me, it is hard to hold down a job, I think it is some kind of diasbility, but don't know what is wrong with me. It is very depressing, what can I do. I am a female in my late fourties and have basically dealt with this all my life.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.

DocPhil213 :

Hello. I am sorry you have this problem. The first thing you need is an evaluation by an ear nose and throat doctor to make sure that the problem is as signficant as you think. A lot of people become obsessed over hygiene and you need a formal smell evaluation by a doctor. then, he will be able to work up the cause. It is a form of obsessive compulsive disorder in some people. PK

Customer:

I dont think is is ocd, this is a real problem

Customer:

what causes someone breath to smell so bad,

DocPhil213 :

It could be but you need evaluation by an impartial physician first. A doctor will be able to tell the extent and if it is present, the cause based on how it smells. Different types of odor indicate different causes. A "cheesy" odor indicates sinus problems. A rotting odor indicates liver problems and so forth

Customer:

all of my relationships are affected by this

DocPhil213 :

That must be hard but the very first step is to have it evaluated formally by an ear nose and throat doc . PK

Customer:

i dont have any major or minor health problems except the bad breath

Customer:

it has a sewer smell

DocPhil213 :

I see. Well, that goes against anything internal like liver or kidney issues

Customer:

even ifi don't eat anything

DocPhil213 :

Okay, well that may indicate an underlying illness you don't know about. You need a formal evaluation.

Customer:

I brush and scrape my tongue every time I brush, I have never dicussed this w/ anyone except my dentist, and they could not find anything wrong

DocPhil213 :

did the dentist say it smelled?

Customer:

how do i go about a formal evaluation

DocPhil213 :

You should go to your primary doctor and get a referral to an ear nose and throat. PK

Customer:

the dentist wear mask, i get to the point where I am afraid to even breath around others,

Customer:

could the smell be coming from my stomach,

DocPhil213 :

Its possible. If you have reflux or an ulcer.

Customer:

no health problems, very healthy except for menopause

DocPhil213 :

I see. Well, my recommendation stands. Ear, nose and throat for breath testing then take it from there. They will be able to help you.

Customer:

thank you very much for your advice

DocPhil213 :

You are welcome. Good luck. I hope this helped you. PK

Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience: Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution