PK
PK, Doctor
Experience:  MD
16173041

Symptoms are nausea and vomiting, sharp pain under ribcage

Symptoms are nausea and vomiting, sharp pain under ribcage in back, swollen left testicle. Any ideas would be helpful. He is traveling in Italy right now and his symptoms started out less severe about 3 days ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  PK replied 3 years ago.

PK :

Hello

PK :

Welcome to just answer..

PK :

I am sorry to hear about his discomfort....

PK :

Does he have loose stools as well ?

Customer:

It's difficult to do anything from here.

PK :

??

PK :

Please answer me ..

Customer:

Sorry, I am having to text my daughter in Italy to ask these questions.

PK :

Oh ok

PK :

Please do ask about the testicular swelling as well.....Since when does he have it ?

PK :

Any pain in the testicles ?

Customer:

she says no, he hasn't at all (stools)

PK :

Ok

PK :

What side does he have the pain ...left or right >

Customer:

I have sent text...waiting for reply

PK :

?

PK :

Ook

Customer:

I don't know about pain...earlier she said he feels like something is wrapped around one of them...not sure which side.

PK :

ok

PK :

The nausea and vomiting is a very common symptom as it can arise due to a variety of causes

Customer:

Ok, he said no swelling, but it is tuceked away as far as it can get.

PK :

As the nausea and vomiting is associated with pain in the abdomen as well we need to rule out involvement of the gall bladder as well...

PK :

If the vomiting and pain persists then he should get an ultrasound of the abdomen so as to determine the cause

PK :

An infection can cause it as well

PK :

The testicle issue seems separate

PK :

He should get his testis examined ...

PK :

If there is swelling then we do need to rule out a pathology like a hydrocoele

PK :

in this condition fluid accumulates in the scrotal sacs

PK :

If the pain becomes severe or if the vomiting does increase then he should seek medical help

PK :

he should drink a lot of fluids like gatorade in order to compensate for the fluid and electrolyte loss

PK :

If this persists beyond the next two days then he should get checked

PK :

I hope you are getting my point ?

PK :

Thus he needs to drink a lot of fluids as that is important at this point of time

Customer:

Yes, they were talking to the front desk at the hotel to find a doctor in Rome, Italy. I think it is pretty severe because otherwise they wouldn't have called me. What is the risk of delaying treatment?

PK :

It really depends on the cause

PK :

If it is something like an appendicitis or gall bladder pathology it does require immediate attention to avoid complications

PK :

They are doing the right thing by seeking help

PK :

The best step at this time is to ascertain the cause

PK :

Once this is done then the treatment can be started in accordance with the same

PK :

I hope this answers you and helps you with your apprehensions..

PK :

Take care and god bless...

PK :

I wish your son in law a speedy recovery and great health

Customer:

Since they are in Italy, is it possible he could be given some short-term treatment to get him home without concern?

PK :

Do let me know if you have any further doubts...

PK :

Yes they can take care of his symptoms

PK :

They still do need to determine the cause

PK :

Once this is done they can control his symptoms

Customer:

He can't hold anything down...trying to drink water, no gatorade at hotel

PK :

and the curative treatment can be done when he is back ?

PK :

Ok

PK :

It could just be a viral infection too

PK :

So the best is to seek help

PK :

Please do not worry

PK :

he will be fine

PK :

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX that's all I can do. I appreciate your help

PK :

Please accept the answer if this answers you as it is only then that will the site credit me for my work.

Thank you...

Customer:

ok.

PK, Doctor
Experience: MD