Dr Khan
Dr Khan, Doctor
Experience:  MB, MRCP(UK), MCPS(Medicine)
28772309

Liver enzymes of GGT of 195 and ALT of 82 and AST at 34 what

Liver enzymes of GGT of 195 and ALT of 82 and AST at 34 what could this mean??
Submitted: 3 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Khan replied 3 years ago.

Dr Khan :

Hello

Dr Khan :

Do you have any symptoms?

Dr Khan :

Are you there?

Customer:

No systems of anything out of the ordinary.. WHat do you mean for symptoms?

Dr Khan :

Any fatigue, lethargy,sense of being unwell or loass of appetite?

Customer:

Since he quit drinking he has been very tired but his apetite has gotten to be alot more

Dr Khan :

OK

Customer:

he says he doesn't feel real well but not bad

Dr Khan :

Can you please specify amount which he used to drink?

Customer:

He would drink about 12 to 24 beers a day than had added hard alcohol to it in the latter few months

Customer:

he also would drink the energy alcohol drinks in binges for energy.. He claims for years a beer gave him energy when he was tired

Customer:

He's now drinking lots of water, juices and milk

Dr Khan :

The pattern of liver enzymes here with elevation of GGT of 195 (Normal range of 65 max) and associated ALT of 82 is typical of ALCOHOL INDUCED LIVER INJURY which is obviously secondary to more than normal alcohol intake

Customer:

taking milk thistle with dandelion root also has for years taking prilosec every day

Dr Khan :

Any difficulty in chat session...........We can switch over to question and answer mode if you like?

Customer:

Do you think he has done irreversible damage

Customer:

and what should he be doing besides stop drinking?

Dr Khan :

Any other tests done? Albumin levels or Prothrombin time? Any ultrasound scan of liver to see its function and structure?

Customer:

I'm lookin at his tests right now just aminute

Customer:

is there any other name for those.. I don't see a ALbumin level his cholestral HDL was 64 and LDL was 191.2

Customer:

over all cholestrol was 276

Customer:

creatine is 1.4

Customer:

BUN 17

Dr Khan :

Is he overweight?

Customer:

He's 6 ft and 225 so not by very much

Customer:

bilirubin is .8

Dr Khan :

Well here all the labs with liver enzymes elevation and raised cholesterol fit in with heavy alcohol ingestion. What it looks like that it is NOT in irreversible stage and all these abnormal lab values WILL return to normal once he stops drinking....SO ABSOLUTE ABSTINENCE IS STRONGLY SUGGESTED here

Customer:

He's not had an ultrasound as he wanted to stop drinking first to see if that would help

Customer:

that is good news..

Dr Khan :

Besides stooping alcohol achieving ideal or near ideal body weight with icreasing intake of vegatables and fruits and water will help here

Customer:

He wants to quit for 6 months and be tested again

Customer:

How much do you think he should lose as he doesn't even have a tummy so does not look overweight

Dr Khan :

Thats what should be next plan.......Stopping alcohol altogether and getting lab tests done after 6 months is usual plan of action

Customer:

he's never been much for sugar things but lately has been eating more I figure that is to replace the alcohol

Dr Khan, Doctor
Experience: MB, MRCP(UK), MCPS(Medicine)
Expert:  Dr Khan replied 3 years ago.

Bye