Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

Will fentanyl show up on a hair follicle test

Will fentanyl show up on a hair follicle test?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 5 years ago.
The most basic drug testing panel is the panel used by DOT and the many employers; a 5 panel drug really designed at the beginning of the "war on drugs" when then President Reagan I believe started testing of Federal employees. The purpose of the 5 panel testing was the elimination of ILLEGAL drug abuse. (Not the misuse/diversion of prescription medications). That panel includes cannabinoids (marijuana), opiates (specifically it ONLY detects codeine, morphine and heroin), PCP, amphetamines, cocaine.

The 5 panel test does NOT detect Percocet, Vicodin, Oxycontin, Fentanyl, Valium, Xamax, Ativan and many other LEGAL prescription medications which are often abused.

So Fentany will be detected only if your employer specifically decides to go for this test.

This depends on the importance of drug use in the job.

If your employer tests for it, it can be detected upto 3 months after use and longer depending on the length of hair.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.