Dr.Hussey, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS-1(R). Have been with patients of medicine all through my career

what is the best way to soften hard, thick and old toenails

what is the best way to soften hard, thick and old toenails?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 5 years ago.
Hope I would be of great help to you and will try my best to be up to your expectations .

Sorry to hear about your problem

Well nail problems can occur either as a disease of nails or as a systemic disease as well. Like anemia, lung diseases and vitamin deficiencies etc can result in nail deformities.
You can take a multivitamin suppliment which are available OTC . Also some basic blood tests like
Blood CP
Chest X ray
Liver function tests etc
Should be done to rule out common systemic diseases which can result in nail problems.
Fungal infections of the nails can occur and require antifungal ointments for cure.
Your best course would be to visit a dermatologist instead of a podiatrist who can examine your nails and have a look at the test results to reach a diagnosis. Only then a proper treatment can be initiated. Lack of treatment can result in infections caused by inappropriate cutting of nails.

This conversation is open till the time you are satisfied. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Best of luck...Take care.

Do click ACCEPT if you find the answer useful for you. In this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Clicking accept will not cost you anything. Bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.