Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

My Liver enzymes are a little high....but I certainly do not

My Liver enzymes are a little high....but I certainly do not drink water...what can I do to clean my liver so that my enzymes come back to normal again....
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 years ago.
What do you mean that you do not drink water:?
Please clarify
Any medical problems?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No not at all.....I don't necessarily drink water or much else.....I never did drink medical problems
What is your height and weight
And what was the explanation by the doctor for your elevated enzymes?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My Height is 5'4"

I weight about 155 lbs....

Have not received any reply from my doctor....I had the same results a few years back and I underwent many tests and everything was ruled out....then my liver readings went back to normal and the physician concluded that perhaps the readings were high and the liver somehow corrected itself....perhaps the liver was attached by something foreign and it managed to correct this...the doctor indicated to me that their are many unanswered questions abt the any case their was no need to see her again as my liver functions were back to normal...

During that time I began to exercise and perhaps this helped my liver....

I now have been exercising on a regular basis for abt 1 year but I wanted to know if it wld be something else other then me exercising...

Is it because I do not drink plenty of water so I do not rid myself of toxin accumulation in the liver....

What can I do to lower my levels and bring them to normal again....

The liver raises enzymes form inflammation, not toxins per se, unless the toxin has overdosed the liver as in the case of alcohol over years or of medications, or a negative reaction to a medication
You must make sure your doctor has checked.
Hepatitis B and C
ANA for autoimmune hepatitis
Iron and ferritin to rule out hemachromatosis

The best cleansing for the liver is a nutrient dense diet. This is basically a vegan diet for 6 weeks that then allows back a very minimal amount of fish, and very few other animal products. Vegetable protein is far easier on the liver.

Silymarin is an antioxidant, from milk thistle, that concentrates preferentially in the liver and is protective.

Good luck
let me know if you have further questions
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I do not fully understand what you mean by nutrient dense diet...what is this diet....Vegan you menat vegetarian diet therfore no meats, poulry or fish...

Plenty of fruits and vegetables....!

This diet can be found in detail in the book called Eat to LIve, by Dr. Joel Fuhrman
In order of quantity
Green leafy veggies
Green veggies
Other veggies
Fruits and beans/peas
Whole grains no yeasted breads
Seeds an nuts

Thats it for 6 weeks.
Then no more than 2 to four helpings of animal products per week, preferably fish.

Good luck again

You may Always ask from clarification as needed, even after you Click Accept to give answer credit so I am compensated for time and expertise. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only, not to replace your physician advice or visit.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

my reading were as follows...

Iron level 21 - Normal range 14-29

AST level 43 - Normal range 7-37

ALT level 56 - Normal range 12-49

Gamma-GT GGT level 206 - Noraml range 0-73

The Gamma range is high...what does this represent....

LIver inflammation
Not specific
Could be from many factors
You should see a hepatologist for a back up opinion.

Good luck again