Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  30 years experience as doctor
8227957

I have had extreme swelling of legs, ankles, feet and stomach/abdomen,

I have had extreme swelling of legs, ankles, feet and stomach/abdomen, which is tender to the touch, shortness of breath, a red itchy rash, temperature and excessive perspiration at night in bed. After chest X-rays, CT-scan and copious blood tests performed in hospital, my doctor has diagnosed shingles and/or chicken pox. He has prescribed Famvir and a diuretic to reduce the swelling. When will the swelling go away? It has been around for about a week, as has the shortness of breath, particularly when I lie on my back. My feet and legs are huge! Please help.
Regards,
Nicole
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 3 years ago.

Where do you have the rash?

How much area is affected?

Are your symptoms getting worse?

How high is the temperature?

Do you have heart, lung, kidney or liver disease?

When have you consulted doctor last?

Do you take any other medicine?

Do you have any other symptom or previous illness?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The rash is on my chest and a little on my stomach and leg. It is minimal but is quite red and "angry"; "impressive" as my doctor labelled it yesterday at 4:15pm, Australian Eastern Standard Time.
The swelling is not coming down in my legs, despite taking two diuretic tablets. The shortness of breath, itchiness and tender skin persists.
My temperature at that time was 37.5.
I thankfully do not have heart, lung, kidney or liver disease.
I take Lovan anti-depressant medication.
No other symptoms or previous illness.
Thanks.
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 3 years ago.
What were the results of the chest X ray , CT scan?

Is there any fluid in the chest?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
All tests came back clear, no fluid on lungs, CT-scan fine, blood tests all OK.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
PS. Last night my husband said my face was grey and my eyes had dark circles underneath.
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information,

The swelling of the feet and hand can be due to collection of fluid.

There can be a few conditions which may lead to the swelling.

These causes can be diseases of the heart, kidney, liver, hypoproteinemia etc.

It is good that your heart, lungs are normal & there is no fluid in the chest.

Other local factors like clot in the vein, venous or lymphatic obstruction needs to be ruled out too.

When you have just started the medicine, you can wait & watch.

Medicines will take some time to have their effects.

It can take 2-3 days.

In shingles there can be severe pain.

Perspiration can occur in severe pain.

In Chicken pox if the rash is extensive, there can be generalized swelling of the body.

You will need repeated evaluation by doctor.

If the shortness of breath persists, you should go to hospital again to check whether you will need other tests and medicine.

Low protein, low hemoglobin can cause generalized swelling.

If the itching is severe you can take benadryl or cetirizine.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Regards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. The matter of the extreme swelling still eludes me. My feet look like balloons, my right shin is even distended; my legs are enormous. will the diuretic cure this?
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 3 years ago.
When the extreme swelling has started?

Did your doctor examined you after the development of extreme swelling?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. He said the swelling in my legs and feet had expanded since Friday. He prescribed the diuretic for this reason.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The swelling started about a week ago.
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 3 years ago.
Generalized swelling is a matter of concern & usually comes from the causes I mentioned above.

When your doctor has examined & could not find any serious issues with heart, lungs etc & you have just started the medicines, you can see how the medicines work.

Still if you feel the swelling or the breathlessness has got worse, you should go to hospital for further follow up & repeated testing.
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Experience: 30 years experience as doctor