Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Can Anxiety play tricks on your mind ie; I was driving home,

Can Anxiety play tricks on your mind ? ie; I was driving home, feeling very anxious and stressed out. I took the usual route, made the first turn I always take, but somehow ended up at a stop light a few blocks down? It really unnerved me. What's this all about? I am on Paxil 40 mg. 1x daily for anxiety and OCD, but have been under a lot of stress for some time. I would really appreciate some input and an answer. Thank you. PS. Can your medication become ineffective over a period of time, or can your body build up an excess.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 years ago.

The anxiety can contribute to difficulty in thinking, although physicians would not refer to it as "playing tricks on your mind." In reality, the human brain can become easily distracted, so that you make such a mistake in returning home, and feelings of anxiety can do this.

Yes, over time, persons can get to the point that the medicines for anxiety will no longer provide the benefit that it once did. It is not usually a problem that a medicine will build an excess once stabilized on a dose, unless there is a change in the body's metabolism. For example, if a condition were to develop that would affect the liver metabolism of a drug that someone has been taking for years, the level may rise to an excessive level.