Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720
Medical

Big toe very sore/painfull to walk. Bump on side/top, swollen,

Big toe very sore/painfull to... Show More
Big toe very sore/painfull to walk. Bump on side/top, swollen, red and shining. Nail looks ok, also did not bump or injure. The bump showed up about a month or two ago and I had one previous episode of pain/swelling
Category: Medical
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
replied 5 years ago.

Were you given any treatment at the urgent care?
Have you been tested for gout?
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
No treatment at urgent care. Have not been treated for gout. Dr. felt it did not look like gout.
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thank you for clarifying,

Gout would be my first thought when you describe recurrent redness, pain and swelling.
It must not be in the characteristic area of the base of the first toe? Is the bump on the big toe itself or on the side of the foot where the big toe meets the foot? (is it above the MTP joint on this illustration or below on the link I have provided below)

http://blogs.siliconvalleyfit.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/mp_joint_1.jpg

Does it look anything like this picture of gout?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7mgRdSFz1-c/SV4ThEGERRI/AAAAAAAABGU/WhXU2eJvuPw/s320/gout_labeled.jpg

Dr Abby

Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
It is not on the base of the toe. It is on the side-more toward the top - between the nail and the first joint.
It did not look like any of the pictures. It is a raised spot about the size of a pencil eraser. It is on the outside part of the foot. Left foot.
Is it along the nailbed itself? Or completely unattached to the nailbed?
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
Completely unattached to the nailed. If of any import I am one year out of chemo etc for breast cancer.
To be completely honest with you, I am not sure what the cause is.
I am going to open the question up to other experts. If someone else has an idea, they will post on the question.

I hope that your toe feels better....

Dr Abby
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
Would it help if I send a picture of the toe? If answer is yes it is best if you send a email that I can get back to you. I might not be able to find you again. I am no computer whizz!
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
no
Ok..

The only way to send photos is to use the paperclip image in the box you type in.
We cannot use email through JustAnswer.

I will again open the question up to others as well. If you can attach the photo, please do so too.

Dr Abby
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, I have no idea how to use the paperclip image.
It is confusing. If you have a photo of it on your computer, you can upload it using the paperclip link.
That is about all I can tell you...I am not a whiz either.

Perhaps another expert will have input without a photo.

Dr abby
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
Im sorry but i cant find a way to do it
theres no paper clip on this page anywhere! i scoured the whole page!
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
/Users/violamcdonald/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2011/Mar 6, 2011/HPIM0805.jpg

hopefully this will work.
Vi
It did not work, unfortunately.

I will be going offline, but again, another expert may be able to help you.

I also contacted customer service to see if they could help you with regards to posting a picture.

Dr abby
Doctor Marcus, Board Certified MD
replied 5 years ago.
Greetings. Is this related to the toe joint? You might only see the paperclip icon if you are using firefox as a web browser, If you upload your picture to dropbox.com and then select the "share" option, it will give you a link that you an post here for us to view.
Customer reply replied 5 years ago.
This is not related to the toe joint. I can not seem to send the picture. I do not have an answer yet to my problem with my very sore toe. I do plan on seeing my Dr. tomorrow - maybe I will receive an answer then. I had hoped I would know something before then. This is not in the joint or the toe nail. Just between the toe nail and the first joint. A big, very sore, bump. The bump feels solid, not filled with pus. Also, it is not on top of my foot or the bottom of my foot. It is on the side, high up.