Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

TOOK LIPANTHYL 300MG ... ONLY FOR A MONTH AND AM FEELING SEVERE

TOOK LIPANTHYL 300MG ... ONLY FOR A MONTH AND AM FEELING SEVERE ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION ... HAVENT HAD ANY OTHER SIDE EFFECTS ... HAVE STOPPED IT SINCE THEN ... WILL THE SITUATION IMPROVE? OR IS THE EFFECT PERMANENT?
Submitted: 3 years ago via Patientsville.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.

Do you have any other health problems besides high cholesterol?
Take any other medications?

Dr abby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

YES, I HAVE T2DM

THE FOLLOWING MEDICATION

- GALVUS MET 50/1000 1-0-1

- EXFORGE 5/160 0-0-1

- LIPITOR 20MG 0-0-1

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying,

It would be highly unusual for erectile dysfunction to be due to Lipanthyl. My suspicion would be that it is due to something else. The fact that you have underlying diseases that are commonly associated with erectile dysfunction also suggests that you may have another cause (diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol are all known risk factors for erectile dysfunction).

Exforge can also cause erectile dysfunction. It is not common, but it does occur.

I recommend discussing your symptoms with either your primary care doctor or a urologist, especially if you do not see any improvement within 2 weeks off of the lipanthyl.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI THANKS MUCH FOR YOUR ANSWER ... PRIOR TO LIPANTHYL, I HAVE BEEN ON EXFORGE FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS ... THATS WHY I THOUGHT IT COULD HAVE BEEN THE CAUSE ...

DO I NEED TO SEE AN UROLOGIST OR WILL THE ENDOCRINOLOGIST THAT I SEE FOR MY DIABETES SUFFICE?

IS THERE A NATURAL CURE AS IN WILL IT RETURN TO NORMAL WITHOUT ADDITIONAL MEDICATION ?

THANKS

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
You can start with the endocrinologist--but he may refer you to a urologist.

I agree, if you have been doing fine on the Exforge for two years, it is much less likely to be the cause. If it is the lipanthyl, it should reverse quickly after stopping.

I cannot say whether there is a natural cure because the cause is not known yet. As mentioned above, if it is medications, stopping the offending medication will reverse it.

If it is due to diabetes, high blood pressure, etc, then you may benefit from Viagra, etc.

If it is due to low testosterone levels (which your endocrinologist can check) then supplementing with testosterone will help significantly.

If it is psychological (which is common too) then time often reverses it.

Dr Abby

Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

THANKS MUCH ... THE LAST TIME AROUND I HAD AMRYL IT LED TO AUTO IMMUNE HEMOLYTIC ANEMIA IN MY CASE ... THATS THE WORRY ... REGARDS ...

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 3 years ago.
Oh, that is quite a reaction.

I hope that things improve for you soon.

Take good care,

Dr abby