Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.

Hemoglobin count keeps dropping. My doctor has said possible

Hemoglobin count keeps dropping. My doctor has said possible loss is because I have gastritis. I'd like to know what other reasons might be. I had a colonoscopy and other tests. I spent 2 weeks in the hospital in February and had a total of 10 units of blood via transfusion.

When I left the hospital on 2/24 my hemoglobin count was 11.3. On 2/28 it was 7.8.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
do you know if the doctors documented for certain that you were losing blood from the GI tract?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I do not know for certain.
Expert:  Internist replied 5 years ago.
This is a very significant amount of blood loss. Your blood count is in a dangerously low area. It would be unusual to have this much bleeding from gastritis and if your blood count continued to drop your doctor should look again into the stomach to see if you are bleeding from the gastritis. I would suspect that if you are on acid blocking medications that you should not be bleeding significantly still from the gastritis. The doctor should take another look. I suspect instead that you are bleeding from a lesion elsewhere. You may have a blood vessel that is bleeding in the large colon that may have been missed during the first colonoscopy. This should be repeated with very careful inspection. If these 2 repeat endoscopies are negative then you may be bleeding from the small intestine. The next appropriate step to take would be what is called capsule endoscopy. This is swallowing a small camera the size of a capsule which takes multiple digital pictures to look at the small intestine which may be the site of your blood loss. You need to pursue all avenues to make the diagnosis so that you can have it treated. Supplementing with iron with this degree of anemia will not be the answer.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.