rob, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  15 years of medical practice in family practice, women's health and infertility

I have developed an itchy red bumps on my chest and back. they

Customer Question

I have developed an itchy red bumps on my chest and back. they are small bumps but have red scabs from what I am sure is my itching what could cause this
Category: Medical
Expert:  rob replied 5 years ago.

rob :

It may be hives, which is frequently associated with an allergic reaction. Have you ever had hives before? How long has it been there now and have you tried taking something, like an antihistamine?

It is not hives because it is individual bumps instead of a like a round raised blotches if that makes sense and no I haven't taken a antihistimine yet. they remind me of chicken pox kind of and I have had the chicken pox with a positive titer

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Can you answer my question
Expert:  rob replied 5 years ago.
If they are on both sides of the back and chest, it is not chicken pox, at least not the adult version, which is called Shingles.
I suggest taking an antihistamine before you go to sleep, plus something like Caladryl lotion, which is an antihistamine lotion before you go to sleep and then , if still itchy in the morning, put it on again after showering.

Avoid very hot shower water and keep to brief ( max 5 minute) showers.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is this possible a stress induced issue, I am in nursing school and that is enough with in its self with adding my kids and husband into the mix
Expert:  rob replied 5 years ago.
Absolutely. Nursing school is a great thing to do, but if you are just starting out, your are definitely going to experience different event and interactions with people that my be very stressful.

Have a good evening. I invite you to accept my suggestions this evening.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your time!
Expert:  rob replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I invite you to accept my suggestions. Have a good evening.