Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am diagnoised with a solid mass 1.3 cm. I am a survivor of

Customer Question

I am diagnoised with a solid mass 1.3 cm. I am a survivor of breast cancer in 2009
now they see the above mass on my right side, I have pains in the breast and the back side (below shoulders) is this a symptom of cancer
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.

The lump in the breast is certainly suspicious for being breast cancer. Breast cancer in the breast can cause breast pain, but it would not typically cause pain in the back below the shoulder blades. It is possible to get pain in the back below the shoulder blades from metastasis of the breast cancer to this area. If breast cancer returns in a distant organ, the bone is one of the common locations, which can cause musculoskeletal pain. There are, of course, many other possible causes of musculoskeletal pain in this region, and it may respond to using an anti-inflammatory medicine. It would require an appropriate evalaution to determine the exact cause of the pain.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My first cancer was not spread to any parts, all my lymph nodes were clear. I was given only 4 chemotherapies. They said this is a mass. So do u think its definitely a cancer

or can be some other problem (fibro) . I am very healthy and I dont feel sick at all right now. except for these pains. I was told breast cancer does not cause pain, is this not right? I did not have any pains for the first time. also note I dont feel any lumps in my breast. I do regular excercise and at that time I dont have any pains, but afterwards I get the pain. pls reply

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I forgot one more thing, I have a sore mouth these days. Can you tell me why this is causing. my pains are moving from place to place, sometimes in the breast, sometimes in the back but now non stop

There is no evidence that this is definitely cancer or that it is definitely not cancer. It would require an appropriate evaluation to determine whether it is cancer. It certainly could be a fibroma or part of fibrocystic disease. The fact that you had a localized tumor with no spread at the time of diagnosis is a good sign and indicates a lower risk of recurrence of the cancer. The smaller the original tumor, the less the level of risk. The chemotherapy also lowers the risk of recurrence. However, there is some risk of recurrence with breast cancer and it can occur up to many years after initial treatment. Even once the possibility of recurrence of this cancer is excluded by the passage of time, the fact that you have had one breast cancer increases the risk of development of another breast cancer. Most people with a breast lump from breast cancer do not have pain, but it can present with breast pain. It would require an appropriate evaluation to determine the cause of the lump and the pain. A sore mouth would not be worrisome for a recurrence of breast cancer. A sore mouth or throat with fluctuating musculoskeletal pain is most typical of a viral infection, and it may resolve with just the passage of time.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was told the mass is approx 1.3 cm. If I am diagnoised with cancer, do you think I may still have to undergo Chemo, or just can stop with Radiation. How big is my mass.

First time I had approx 2.5 cm. Also Can I give up on Tamoxafine, I think this is cauing lots of side effects.

The answers to these questions will largely be dependent upon the findings of the evaluation. There is a good chance that it will not be cancer. If cancer, it depends upon the nature and extent of the cancer. For example, if it is metastatic to the bone, chemotherapy is usually the next step. Tamoxifen is recommended to be continued, but if you are having significant side effects, you should discuss other options with your physician, such as an aromatase inhibitor, like letrozole or exemestane, possibly in combination with leuprolide.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Iwas told the mass is sitting in the border. what does this mean
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What kind of impact does these have to do. Is it more likely they can spread easily

It depends upon what is found on evaluation. If it is not breast cancer, then there is no concern about spread. If this is breast cancer causing the lump, this would be considered a small tumor. If the musculoskeletal pain is from breast cancer in the bone, then it has already started to spread, which obviously would be more worrisome.