Dr  Jones
Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.
27521838

How do I stop my ears from popping. It makes the noise like

How do I stop my ears from popping. It makes the noise like when you blow pressure in them to get them to pop. But it does it every time I yawn, swollow or move my throat in anyway. I can make it do it over and over but I can't stop it its like I have to like it needs to pop to relieve something but it's happening all the time driving me crazy. At first I thought it was just my ear but noticed its controlled my something in my throat. I tried putting a heated towel around my ears but nothing I gives me a headache.

Dr Jones :

Any throat complains or recent sore associated with this?

Customer:

no alittle sinus drainage down the back of my throat but the popping has been going on for longer than that has been.

Customer:

and its in both ears not just one

Dr Jones :

The cause for such symptoms is intermittent blockage of Eustachian tube.Its tube which communicated between middle ear and throat.

Dr Jones :

A patent tube maintains pressure in the middle ear.

Customer:

how do i fix it it drives me crazy

Dr Jones :

If the tube gets blocked it causes such symptoms.Generally inflammation is the cause.In your case this might be related or sinus infection as well.

Customer:

it even does it when I breath at times I had a np look in my ear she said other than alittle fluid they looked fine to her but I dont guess she could see that part with just a regular ear scope thing

Customer:

I dont know if its and infection its been going on a while and ive taken anti biotics for other things during the time so it should have fixed it too right

Customer:

if its blocked bad does a doctor have to fix it

Dr Jones :

Antihistaminics ,decongestant and nasal spray can be tried.

Customer:

my ears do itch alot but deep inside and sometimes sting in a small area but i can stop it by putting my finger against the outside most the time

Dr Jones :

Its not the infection which cause this but the inflammation leads to blockage or compromise in caliber of tube.

Dr Jones :

The ear symptoms suggest possibility of external ear infection.

Dr Jones :

Mostly fungal infections are common.itching is again feature of fungal infections.

Customer:

oh ok then I should go to and ent then so they can check the tube cause I know I cant deal with this much longer Thank you. Is there any otc things I can try to see if it will help if the tube is already blocked with no insurance ent are quite high

Dr Jones :

You can try antihistaminics ,decongestants and nasal sprays.A consultation with ENT would be surely helpful as this has been a chronic problem.

Dr Jones :

Please ask if there are doubts.

Customer:

thank you.