Dr.David
Dr.David, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS
6554558

The mucous membranes of my nose are so swollen I have not been able to breath from my nose

The mucous membranes of my nose are so swollen I have not been able to breath from my nose for over 2 hours. It's getting hard sometimes through my mouth as the drainage from my nose is going down my throat. I believe this is a massage allergy attack & not a cold. I'm starting to panick. Do I need to go to the emergency room if my nose does not open soon?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.David replied 3 years ago.
Hello
Welcome to the just answer website. I need the following information from you, so that I can provide you the best answer:

Are you feeling discomfort in breathing?
Is there any pressure on chest?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There's no pain in breathing. A little pressure in the chest but I think that's part of my panicking. Particulary when I'm trying to breathe & swallow the drainage that is coming from my nose, this is when I can't breathe & panick.

In my first message I made a typo that should have read "massive allergy attack".
Expert:  Dr.David replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the info provided.

The symptoms you are having is due to a condition called post nasal drip. It is the drainage of secretions from the nose or sinuses down the back of the throat. Its most common causes are: Flu, allergies,viral infections,Sinus infection or sinusitis . It is usually caused by an underlying rhinitis (inflammation of lining of the inside of your nose) and/or sinusitis (inflammation of the sinus cavities within the facial bones that surround your nose).

Antihistamines and decongestants, cromolyn and steroid (cortisone type) nasal sprays and other forms of steroids will provide dramatic relief.Antibiotics may be required accordingly.

Other treatments include nasal irrigation, in which the nasal cavity is flushed out, clearing the airways and sinuses. These usually brings immediate relief. If you feel major discomfort, then you need to go to ER for nasal irrigation & other prescription medications.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Regards-
Dr.David.
Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is the fee beyond $35?
Expert:  Dr.David replied 3 years ago.

You need to click on the accept button now.You will be charged only $35 for this question.

Regards-
Dr.David.
Dr.David, Doctor
Experience: Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS