Dr PG (M.D.)
Dr PG (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  MD since 1997
9208484

2050 in the left eye..cell count of abut 1500 in the right eye..cornea

I have diagnosed with Fuch's dystrophy with a current endotheial cell count of 1022 in the right eye and 2050 in the left eye. About 10 years ago I had a cell count of abut 1500 in the right eye and now find myself at the cut off point for the absence of symptoms. At what cell count would expect that I would need a cornea transplant? My age is 60 and I now have 20/16 vision in both eyes.

Dr PG (M.D.) :

Hi

Dr PG (M.D.) :

welcome to just answer

Dr PG (M.D.) :

usually the minimum endothelial cell count that is said to be required for the viability of the cornea is 700 cells/mm2

Dr PG (M.D.) :

but this can vary from patient to patient

Dr PG (M.D.) :

in presence of guttae in the endothelial surface, even 700 cells/mm square might not be sufficient

Dr PG (M.D.) :

As you are doing you would need regular specular microscopy to see the endothelial cell count as well as the condition of the cornea before taking any decision for surgery

Dr PG (M.D.) :

hope this information is helpful