Dr. Haroon Iqbal
Dr. Haroon Iqbal, Doctor
Experience:  18 years experience in all fields of Surgery and Medicine. Vast experience in Emergency care.
28687509

I HAVE A BELLY BUTTON HERNIA SAT. IT STARTED LEAKING THIS THICK

I HAVE A BELLY BUTTON HERNIA SAT. IT STARTED LEAKING THIS THICK PASTY STUFF KINDA LIKE A PIMPLE..THE HERNIA SITE WAS BLACKISH IN COLOR..IS NOT NOW HOWEVER YESTERDAY I WAS GRABBING AREA AROUND BELLY BUTTON CUZ IT FEELS LIKE A MASS OR SOMETHING THERE AND IT LEAKED ALOT OF CLEAR FLUID THEN THIS HARD STUFF LIKE WHEN U HAVE A WHITE HEAD WAS COMING OUT WHEN I APPLIED PRESSURE.. IT IS KINDA RED BELOW BELLY BUTTON MAYBE INFECTION OR SOMETHING? SHOULD I BE CONCERNED, GO TO DR ASAP, OR MAKE APPT FOR WHENEVER I CAN BE SEEN ? WHAT DO I NEED TO DO AT THIS POINT? WHAT IS CAUSING THIS? WHAT INFO CAN U GIVE ME AT THIS POINT? THANK YOU,
KAREN KELLEY
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Haroon Iqbal replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Hello and welcome to justanswer!

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Any itching at the point of infection?

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Pain ?

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Are you there?

JACUSTOMER-89qnq6b3- :

not itching kinda sore feeling

Customer:

no itching ...kinda sore..are you there?

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Hi

Customer:

hello

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Sorry i was disconnected.

Customer:

no problem

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Ok , tell me , do you think the pimple is growing ?

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Is it right on belly button or just around it?

Customer:

don't really think it is a pimple per say just acting as one...it is a hernia at belly button..i had surgery scope surgery yrs ago at this site 2 within a month and have had yhis hernia? for awhile...right on belly button

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Ok , i think there is infection developing(*surgical site) because this place is so probne to infection and fungal infestation because of its position and shape.If there is thick material coming out , it shows the infection is taking roots.If it is not growing rapidly , you can have appointment with a surgeon , but if there is severe pain and it is growing fast , please see a doctor immediately.To begin with you can see a GP , who will examine and send you to appropriate place.For now, clean it with lukewarm water , then clean with Hydrogen peroxide and then apply triple antibiotic cream .Use Advil also for inflammation,but you may need an antibiotic also.Good luck.

Customer:

even though these surgeries took place 15 plus years it could be getting infected now?

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Yes , it is quite likely , because of the structure of the belly button , since this place is full of bacteria especially the skin commencils like Staphylococcus Aureus .So even a minute abrasion can cause infection and profuse.

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Therefore you need to be examined by a surgeon for possible infection and even infection of the gut parts present in the hernia.

Customer:

could by gyn help me in this area? i am due for pap smear now and need to make appt could he also examine the hernia?

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

I think it will be difficult.

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

The proper person is a surgeon.

Customer:

ok ... u mentioned gp should i start there? or

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Yes see a GP first.

Customer:

go to a urgent care center?

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

It is the right course of action.

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

If you feel pain and discomfort , nothing like that.

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

I mean yes you can go to ER.

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

i will stress that it should be examined by a doctor .

Customer:

alright so r u saying surgery willl be needed? we have an urgent care center with gp's should i proceed to do that very soon? and see what they recommend

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Yes sure , i think this is good , you need to see a doctor right now.

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Hernias are prone to infections and complications .

Customer:

i don't mean to sound difficult or stupid i just don't have insurance... and know it will be costly did not want to go if not needed

Customer:

would be safe t

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

I think you clean it first the way i told you and then see a doctor if needed, i mean if doesn't regress.

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Agreed?

Customer:

ok see dr if it gets bigger, painful, or more redness around site? but regardless eventually be seen by md?

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Yes , if the infections wanes then you have the time to wait and see.So clean it first and use Advil etc.

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

I am concerned about infection because you told me that the hernia site was blackish, which might mean the hernia could be strangulated.

Customer:

lol ok sounds good .... again sorry to sound stupid or difficult....thank you for your time and advice.... oh it was black at site until the stuff started coming out..not black now..so whats that mean you think??

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Tissue turns black when its blood supply is impeded .So it is quite possible that the blood supply to hernia site is blocked because of such blockage and only a doctor can tell about it after assessment.

Customer:

could there be leakage inside me with this stuff????

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

I think it will be unlikely.

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

But if the gut is infected deep within it could be blocked .

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Since it is infected.

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Gangrene may develop around the gut surface.

Customer:

humm so what do u mean by that if the gut is infected?? what would some symtoms be?????

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

It would be pain, a pulsating feeling , redness , swelling and possible fever.

Customer:

ok i don't think we are there at this point...i will make an appt. and go from there...i appreciate your help and expert advice at least i think i'm ok to wait until the next day or two...THANK YOU XXXXX AFTERNOON

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

Ok and good luck

Dr. Haroon Iqbal :

please press ACCEPT if satisfied.

Dr. Haroon Iqbal, Doctor
Experience: 18 years experience in all fields of Surgery and Medicine. Vast experience in Emergency care.