Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

My left ear has been stopped up for three days now. I have

My left ear has been stopped up for three days now. I have had some type of sinus infection for the last week. Is there any way to relieve the pressure in my ear, it is driving me insane. The doctor put me on Amoxicillin, and he also gave me a shot of Decadron. Still no relief.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello
no if you keep trying to do this yourself you are likely to make things worse
this can be a thin layer of wax that has coated the ear drum, in which case it has to be removed professionally, preferably by an ENT doctor.
This can be fluid trapped behind the ear and if it won't clear it might have to be drained; antihistamines might simply try up the Eustachian tube and make drainage more impossible.
therefore, someone that knows what they are doing has to look into the ear and take care of the problem
An ear nose and throat doctor can do this very easily.
It is important because sometimes the inflammation of infection it self can cause hearing loss.
Get this look at as soon as possible
good luck
let me know if you have further concerns
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The nurse at my GP cleaned my ear out today at my visit, still didnt help, if you dont mind me asking, how bad is the procedure to have the fluid behing my ear drained. Thanks so much
Not bad
It's like a controlled perforation if it needs to be done.
Very little pain
Heals up quickly.
Good luck again
See ENT
You might only need a taper of steroid
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the info. I see you practice in the Ohio area. I work for the State Police here in Kentucky, and have considered transfering to the Local State Police Post outside of Covington, I am thinking about trying to get into Chase Law School. I may need a Doctor if my transfer goes through if you are close to that area. Thanks again.
I don't thing any information should say I am in ohio, just that i went to med school there
let me know if you see something else
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My apologies, I just made an assumption due to the fact I seen "University of Cincinnati". I dont see anything else referring to Ohio. I wont take up any more of your time chatting, thanks again Dr. Thomas. Good day!

yes well i remember covington fondly
also can't solicit patients on the site
good luck
please don't forget accept
come back as needed
Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc