Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

When I blow my nose there is green stuff coming out, does this

Customer Question

When I blow my nose there is green stuff coming out, does this mean that I have a sinus infection? Also my glands are so swollen that it hurts to turn my head in either direction, what should I do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 years ago.

No. Green mucus that is coming from the nose can occur with a sinus infection, but it also can occur with a simple viral infection of the nose. Similarly, swollen glands can occur with either a viral or a bacterial infection. If the green mucus is associated with pain, tenderness, pressure, or fullness in the sinuses, that would be more worrisome for being a sinus infection. If the congestion and drainage persists, then that also is worrisome for being a sinus infection. If you have these other symptoms, then it would be appropriate to be seen. Otherwise, it is appropriate to manage it as a viral infection initially, including use of an antihistamine/decongestant, such as the Dristan, or with irrigation of the nose with warm salt water, such as with a NetiPot.