Doctor Chip
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs practice, surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine, pain
18722459

Ive had pain in the bend of my left arm for a couple of weeks.

I've had pain in the bend of my left arm for a couple of weeks. I have a tendency to carry my VERY heavy purse in the bend of that arm. I tend to carry a lot there. I noticed pain started to develop about a few weeks ago in that spot, like opposite side of elbow so I have been trying to avoid holding things on that side. It hurts when I bend it and if I pick something heavy up. Could I have pulled a tendon or muscle? How long does it take for something like this to heal?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor Chip replied 3 years ago.
Is this at the elbow? Does it hurt to take your hand and act like you were shaking someone else's hand and they twisted your hand back and forth?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's on the opposite side of the elbow. In the bend of the arm. It bothers me most when i lift something, put it in a bending position (as if holding a phone) or if I push real hard on it.
Sounds like tendonitis, and the treatment is rest, antiinflammatories, an elbow brace, and, if need be, a cortisone injection. It may take the injection seeing as how it's lasted this long.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, just to be clear, tendonitis can occur in areas OTHER than the elbow joint?
Yes, but I thought we were talking about your elbow?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's the opposite side of the elbow, in the bend near the bicep
You mean it's on the inside of the elbow--in the bend but on the opposite side from the bone at the angle of the elbow?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes
Yes--there are tendons all around the elbow. The one that's a problem with you is the biceps tendon that inserts into the proximal ulna and radius bones of the forearm.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, thanks for your patience. So at some point i should see my dr and perhaps gets a cortisone shot if there is no improvement? Can this clear up on its own?
It can if you nearly completely rest the arm, but that usually happens after a week or two.
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs practice, surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine, pain