Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

I have a pricking sensation at the back of my throat. Why?

I have a pin pricking sensation at the back of my throat. Sometimes that causes me to go into a coughing jag, sometime causing me to vomit. What could that be?

You may be having laryngeal aspiration. This typically occurs due to weakness of the nerves of the larynx like internal laryngeal nerve.
This causes some food or saliva to enter the windpipe leading to severe coughing which can lead to vomiting sometimes.
This would lead to the symptoms that you describe. Some saliva enters into your larynx and this leads to the pricking or irritation followed by severe coughing.
You have mentioned that you have aspiration problems, this is a part of the same pathology.
I would suggest that you consult an ENT specialist to determine any weakness in your larynx closure.
You should also discuss about a referral to a speech pathologist. A speech pathologist can suggest various exercises which will strengthen the valve function of the larynx. You should discuss about addiction exercises with your speech pathologist.
I hope my answer has helped you.