Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  30 years experience as doctor
8227957

What might cause a sudden sharp pain in a hip joint It feels

Customer Question

What might cause a sudden sharp pain in a hip joint? It feels like it must be a hip joint, but I'm not sure. It comes when I put pressure on my left leg - it makes me feel like I have to grab something to keep from falling down. The pain is on my left side, below the waist and over the bone just above my buttocks. It started actining up a couple weeks ago but is becoming more frequent now.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 3 years ago.

Can you explain that on which part of the leg do you put pressure to ilicit the pain and exactly on which part of buttock do you feel the pain?

Do you take any other medicine?

Did you have any test?

Do you have any other symptom or previous illness?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just when I stand on my foot or try to walk - it is a sudden, sharp pain, just above my left buttock - feels like there is a roundish kind of bone or joint there, just under the muscle where the pain is. No other symptoms or meds, or tests - I walk with a cane for left side partial paraysis from a stroke I had 8 years ago - otherwise good health and work full time. The stroke left my left foot with limited mobility, hence the cane helps me keep my balance.
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information,

The pain can be due to a few factors.

This can be due an inflammation of the joint or a bursa over there.

This can be an inflammation or arthritis of sacroiliac joint.

The hip joint pain is usually felt a little below towards the groin.

Malalignment or increased pressure can cause inflammation & pain.

Spinal stenosis should be ruled out.

The exact site or origin of the pain needs a physical examination by doctor.

When it is continuing for a couple of months you should get an examination by doctor & have X rays/ scans if necessary for confirmation of the diagnosis.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.