The Physician
The Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Versatile Emergency Physician, 20 years experience as a Physician.
37289694

I have a 3cm fluid-filled cyst in my right groin that has been

I have a 3cm fluid-filled cyst in my right groin that has been there approximately 3 years and has gotten a little bigger over time. A surgeon aspirated the fluid this Wednesday, said the fluid looked clear to him and to call if the cyst came back. By that evening the cyst had once again filled to the size it was before aspiration. I saw the surgeon again today and he thinks I should have it removed to be safe. He can see some sort of canal that leads to it that the fluid is draining from, but he can't see where the canal comes from and doesn't know what's causing the cyst, and can't guarantee that it's harmless. he said a possibility could be that it's coming from the lymphatic system but he didn't think so since fluid looked clear and not "milky." I am wondering what types of things could cause the cyst and if having it removed is the best option, the other option he gave me was to have regular ultrasounds and aspirate the fluid again to send it in to be tested.
Category: Medical
Expert:  The Physician replied 3 years ago.

Greetings

I agree with the fact that it might be difficult to determine the source of the cyst, hence most surgeons would evaluate it to make sure it is not part of any blood vessel or any lifethreatening structure. In doing an excision the anatomy might be defined intraoperatively or by histopathology (lab)

The result and diagnosis would determine if there is a need for further treatment and /or further investigations.

the only cysts that are common in that area are hydranitis suppuritiva which are pus-filled (hence do not fit) or sebacious abcess (also yellow fluid).

A ganglion cyst of one of the muscle tendons may be the best fit

Edited by The Physician on 2/18/2011 at 8:02 PM EST
The Physician, Doctor
Experience: Versatile Emergency Physician, 20 years experience as a Physician.