Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities
28277873

If my tsh comes back to low do you increase my dose of synthroid

If my tsh comes back to low do you increase my dose of synthroid or decrease it
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Sohaib :

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer...

Dr. Sohaib :

Are you diagnosed with a thyroid problem...

Customer:

My thyroid was removed in 2003 and I have been on medication ever since when my last test came back the doctor said it was to low so he lowered my med dosage and it sounded odd to me wouldn't you increase it

Dr. Sohaib :

Allright...

Dr. Sohaib :

Well, in simplest terms, a raised TSH means Hypothyroidism and a low TSH means Hyperthyroidism...

Dr. Sohaib :

If a patient with hypothyroidism (like you) is in thyroid replcement, the target is to keep the TSH in normal limits...If TSH reduces below the normal, it suggests over treatment and dose has to be reduced as in your case...

Dr. Sohaib :

Similarly, if TSH rises, the dose has to be increased to bring back TSH to normal...

Customer:

my test level was 0.01 so he lowered my meds to 0.125 I think and I am now takeing 0.137

Dr. Sohaib :

Yes, your dose had to be reduced as you were over treated (which occurs frequently in patients with hypothyroidism)...

Dr. Sohaib :

So follow your doctor's advice as his/her opinion and management plan was absolutely fine and according to guidelines...

Dr. Sohaib :

I hope this answers your question...

Dr. Sohaib :

Kindest Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Customer:

I feel awfull most all of the time I am tired when I do nothing and I don't want to do anything

Customer:

does this also affect fibromyalgia

Dr. Sohaib :

This can occur with hypothyroidism, and symptoms of lethargy may also persist to some extent despite treatment...

Dr. Sohaib :

Fibromyalgia, is characterised by pain, stiffness, fatigue, disrupted unrefreshing sleep, and cognitive difficulties, and this diagnosis is established once all the other causes for such symptoma have been ruled out...

Customer:

I have been told I have it does the thyroid make it worse

Dr. Sohaib :

I think you should also get your vitamin D levels checked as vitamin D deficiency is very common especially in post menopausal females, and can present clinically with symptoms of body aches and pains along with lethargy and fatigue...

Customer:

I am on a dose of 50,000 of D a week now

Dr. Sohaib :

Thyroid disorder and Fibromyalgia can co-exist...

Dr. Sohaib :

Yes any disease process in the body affects other diseases present already, and your fibromyalgia symptoms may get worse if thyroid disorder is not controlled...

Customer:

I just want to feel better Thank you for helping me to understand the logic of the med change

Dr. Sohaib :

Allright...

Dr. Sohaib :

Goodluck...

Customer:

Thank you

Dr. Sohaib :

Welcome...

Dr. Sohaib :

Please Click ACCEPT button to give me Credit.
POSITIVE FEEDBACK & BONUS will be highly appreciated.
Feel free to ask any Follow up questions.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialities