Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

My liver enzymes are high ALT 81 and AST 68 as of yesterday.

Customer Question

My liver enzymes are high ALT 81 and AST 68 as of yesterday. I have been stressed, drinking too much eating too much and not exercising. My doctor has given me 3 months to reverse this or an ultrasound. By stopping my bad habits or greatly minimizing them is this possible?
Submitted: 6 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 6 years ago.

Dr. Shah :

Hello, Welcome to Just answer! I would like to get more information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Dr. Shah :

Is this your first abnormal report?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Shah :

Do you have any symptoms?

Dr. Shah :

such as nausea, abdomen pain, jaundice

Customer:

None that I have noticed.

Dr. Shah :

tiredness

Dr. Shah :

Any wt. loss or anorexia?

Customer:

Some nausea early in the am occasionally and some fatigue not generally, no weight loss etc.

Dr. Shah :

When was your last blood test?

Dr. Shah :

excluding the current one

Customer:

Monday the 14th this week

Customer:

Just saw my doctor last night

Customer:

3 months ago was my last one....new doctor

Dr. Shah :

Was you blood test normal in previous blood test?

Dr. Shah :

Are you taking any medications on regular basis?

Dr. Shah :

Do you have any medical illness?

Customer:

I don't believe she tested my liver function...choloesterol was high and am now on zocor and it tested normal yesterday. Medications, high blood pressure lotensin, zocor, zanax as needed

Customer:

No medical illness

Dr. Shah :

How much do you drink and how often?

Customer:

2 drinks every few nights

Dr. Shah :

Thank you for the information. Based on your description, I don't see any alarming features at this time. Moreover, you don't have any symptoms at all. Your liver function tests are not that bad, usually in acute live damage you see reports in several hundreds. I think if you stop drinking and maintain healthy life style, your liver function test will come back to normal.

Dr. Shah :

All you need is monitoring liver function tests for few months.

Customer:

thank you....

Dr. Shah :

You are welcome!
Now you can press "ACCEPT" button to end this conversation. This is the only way I can get credit for my time with you. I am still available to help you if you have any follow up question.
Thank you for visiting just answer.

Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
Hello from JA
In the case of isolated liver enzymes to this degree one can not just ignore it and one must investigate the possibilities before simply observing, in my view. Even if observing, one must be aware of the possibilities and investigate as indicated.
Medication effects are possible, and zocor can cause liver inflammation. This is an indication to stop or switch the zocor. 2 drinks every other night would not normally do this, but could aggravate a medication effect, so the other possibility is toxic drug interaction, or alcohol toxicity if more drinking has been going on.
Chronic hepatitis, even without symptoms, can result is mildly elevated liver enzymes, and should still be investigated. Test for Hep C and Hep B should occur, but also a blood test called ANA to rule out auto-immune hepatitis...or, if enzymes continue to elevate and zocor has been stopped, these tests should all be run. Finally, iron studies and ferritin should be run as a blood test to rule out hemachromatosis, since this is a reversible form of liver problem. So first, I would discontinue not only the alcohol, but the zocor as well, unless the zocor was started after the elevated finding. I would also, finally, have your physician review all medications for toxic effects.
Good luck
let me know if you have further questions

Always ask from clarification as needed, Please Click Accept to give answer credit. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.