Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

I have lower left abdominal pain and it is tender to touch,

I have lower left abdominal pain and it is tender to touch, I also have pain in my lower left back. I usually have healthy BM's but since yesterday they have been small and have to push to get them out. I am very active endurance athlete and usually feel top shelf.

What could this be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 5 years ago.

Dr. Shah :

Hello, Welcome to Just answer! I would like to get more information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Dr. Shah :

How severe is your pain in 1 to 10 scale?

Customer:

4-5

Dr. Shah :

Do you have fever, nausea or blood in stool?

Customer:

no

Dr. Shah :

Do you have pain when you press on your left lower abdomen?

Customer:

yes, it feels "uncomfortable" if I press in that area.

Dr. Shah :

What is your age group?

Customer:

I just turned 40

Dr. Shah :

Do you have any medical illness?

Customer:

no

Dr. Shah :

Do you think it is getting better?

Dr. Shah :

Any other associated symptoms?

Customer:

It's about the same as it was yesterday. I get a pre-bubbling feeling in that area before i have to pass gas....and of course the pain in my lower left back.

Dr. Shah :

Thank you for the information. Based on your description, you don't seem to have any alarming features at this time. Moreover, there is no other associated symptoms to pin point a specific cause. however, as per pain location, tenderness, change in bowel habits etc could be related to diverticulitis.

Dr. Shah :

Other possibility would be constipation which by itself can also cause pain abdomen

Dr. Shah :

I think if it is bothering you a lot, then you need to see someone at this time to confirm the diagnosis.

Customer:

Should I try taking a laxative

Dr. Shah :

Constipation is one of the common cause of pain abdomen, if you want to try OTC meds for it, then it is fine.... but make sure if you develop severe pain, nausea, fever, blood is stool... visit your doctor ASAP and stop further use of meds.

Customer:

Any suggestions on a OTC?

Dr. Shah :

you can go for stool softener such as docusate.

Customer:

Any idea on the back pain?

Dr. Shah :

It may or may not be related to it. You don't have any other symptoms to relate it. I expect it to recover as you feel better.

Customer:

Thank-you!

Dr. Shah :

You are welcome!
Now you can press "ACCEPT" button to end this conversation. This is the only way I can get credit for my time with you. I am still available to help you if you have any follow up question.
Thank you for visiting just answer.