Dr Brims
Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  MD

What is the best kind of synthetic cartilage for a knee I

What is the best kind of synthetic cartilage for a knee? I have tried cortizone shots and all they do is swell my entire leg. My Doctor wants to do an injection but I am hesitant about it. Help please if you can.
Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek. I work in orthopaedic surgery. What do you mean by synthetic cartilage? Do you mean the injections that are supposed to regenerate cartilage?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I do mean the injectons.
Okay, that is what I thought, sinvysc is very popular, but honestly, none of these injections have been scientifically proven to work, most orthopaedic surgeons do not use them for this reason, and I don't advise you waste your money on them. Rather, if the pain is that sever, you should look into either partial knee replacements or cartilage implants that are placed arthroscopically
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If they don't work then why do doctors push them on their patients? Is this what the insurance companies want done?
Some doctors think they work, but most orthopaedic surgeons know that it does not work, and there is no scientific proof that they work. Sorry, just giving you my honest assessment
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the insight. I meet with my doctor tomorrow and needed some info on the subject.
You're welcome let me know if you have any other questions or concerns on this topic If not, please click the green ACCEPT button to end this session