Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

I am waking up with my mouth/tongue feeling numb and my hands

Customer Question

I am waking up with my mouth/tongue feeling numb and my hands tingling, this has been occurring for several weeks now? should i be concerned?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.

Is there any other symptom? Was any test done? Are you on any other medication? Is there any significant past illness?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No other symptoms, no test have been done, no medication, no past illness.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the input.

The feeling of numbness is related to nerve impulses. It can be due to low calcium or electrolytes, B12 or other vitamins or use of alcohol, tobacco. The other probables are thyroid diseases, diabetes, pinching of a nerve or other nerve diseases like stroke, MS etc. Low blood supply can also cause it. I would advise to get an examination by doctor. Doctor can then ask for tests, as he thinks appropriate.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
The response was very general, I am feeling numbness in my mouth/tongue and tingling in my hands after I wake up, can I get more specific symptoms or should I see a doctor, which is basically what the response I received?
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 5 years ago.
Without examination in person & tests, it is difficult to pin point a diagnosis. You need to rule out the worse such as stroke or MS. Yes, you should see doctor. You can need CT or MRI scan, blood tests to come to a precise diagnosis.