Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

how fast does sepsis turn into septic shock

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 years ago.
If not treated at all, very rapidly, within 24 hours.
good luck

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
24 hours of what ? I don't understand this answer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Sepsis will rapidly deteriorate into shock if not immediately treated.
So, once the blood and organs are infected there results vasodilation of the blood vessels while at the same time the heart is trying harder and harder to profuse the body by beating harder.
Blood pressure paradoxically drops.
Within a brief time, within 24 hours of the onset of sepsis, this combination....high heart output with a lack of peripheral blood vessel resistance, results in shock, then death.
good luck again

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would a simple CBC and dif show that there is sepsis
A combination of a CBC and blood cultures will give a good indication along with clinical signs, but a CBC does not prove or disprove sepsis.
good luck again

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

my daugher died of septic shock, she was taken to the ER 3 nights in a row and the ER doctors did not draw blood on her, she had anemia and often blood transfusions . I called 911 on the 4th day, they asked my why i waited so long to call them and they could not find blood pressure reading... it took the hospital staff 5 hours to tell me that she has sepsis after they put her on a respirator. on Thursday night , the night before she was admitted in ICU her blood pressure was 90 over 63 and heart rate wast 100 and they let her go home, couldn't that be an indication of sepsis, plus her temp was 95.7

It could be an indication of sepsis yes.
However, the exact point of sepsis would be hard to say.
The low body temperature is the better indication as this occurs sometimes in sepsis, rather than a fever.
good luck too you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How could ER doctors miss this 3 nights in a row ? What other signs does a person need to have before they check this ? She had a mediport placed last year for blood tranfusions. She had a fever of 103 the first night and it went down the next day. She developed a rapid heart beat, had a hard time breathing yet her oxygen level was at 96 and her blood pressure was low.
Your way to address this would be to have the medical records reviewed by an independent source.
It would really be impossible to say exactly what the thinking was or what was missed without a complete review.
Clearly she became septic and they did find this out at some point.
How close to the point that she switched from being bacteremic [bacteria getting into the blood stream] and sepsis, is unclear.
The real question is should she have been admitted sooner to the hospital and should blood cultures have been drawn sooner.
That would be the question for review.
good luck again

Always ask from clarification as needed, Please Click Accept to give answer credit. Come back if needed. Bonuses and positive feedback most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.