Dr.David, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS

I had severe pain in the mastoid area of my left ear. It felt

I had severe pain in the mastoid area of my left ear. It felt like a cramp, but I couldn't raise my head up without severe pain. When I moved my tongue in my mouth, I would feel pain. If I moved my ear around, it caused pain. This lasted for about 2 hours and suddenly the pain disappeared. My wife was ready to take me to the emergency room, when it cleared up. Any help you can give me, will be greatly appreciated.

George Gemberling
Copperopolis, Calif
[email protected]
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.David replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to the just answer website. The symptoms you have described can be due to ear infection, otitis media or the infection may have spread to the mastoid process called mastoiditis.Mastoiditis occurs when suppurative infection extends from a middle ear affected by otitis media to the mastoid air cells. Another possibility is of sinus infection.

Definitely this should be checked by your doctor. antibiotics may be prescribed accordingly. Till than take tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg from the counter. It is available as OTC without prescription.

Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.