Dr  Jones
Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.
27521838

Everytime I go on vacation, legs, ankles, feet swell. Why?

Everytime I go on vacation, my lower legs, ankles, & feet swell up terribly. The swelling isn't necessarily painful but there is some tenderness. My husband became extremely alarmed at the swelling during our last vacation. Staying off my feet seems to make the swelling go away. I take medicine for high blood pressure and I do take the medicine every day even when vacationing. I'm wondering why this happens and if there is anything I can do to prevent it.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 5 years ago.

Dr Jones :

Your symptoms are suggestive of pedal edema. Retention of water in the soft tissue is the cause of such swelling.This kind of swelling is not specific for one particular cause and can be seen in various conditions. Few such conditions are venous insufficiency in leg, diseases of heart, kidney, liver, lung, etc, lymphedema, hypertension, allergies and even pregnancy. In your case it is likely to be due to hypertension and travelling associated with vacations.

Usually diagnosis is reached with help of detailed medical history, clinical examination and few investigations. So I would suggest you to see a doctor so if necessary doctor can make modifications in your medications if needed. The treatment is usually directed towards the underlying cause.
Please ask if you want me to explain anything.

JACUSTOMER-kb4y8vfq- :

My husband & I mentioned this to our PCP and based on where we vacation, he suggested that the consumption of avocados could be the culprit.

Dr Jones :

No, I really doubt that. Its surely related to your hypertension. Its common among hypertensives to have leg swelling on exertion, prolonged standing /sitting or while travelling.

JACUSTOMER-kb4y8vfq- :

If it helps, we normally travel to the Mexican Riviera Maya. We stay @ all-inclusive resorts. We do consume more alcoholic beverages than we would at home but these are the typical resort beverages and beer. I make a point to drink at least as much water or more water than the amount of alcohol I consume. I also expect that the food has more salt than I normally consume or use when at home. I would like to know if there is anything I can do to keep the swelling from becoming so noticeable.

Dr Jones :

Most cases elevation of legs, frequent change in positions, avoiding standing or sitting for long duration, taking short walks in between can be helpful. Most people don't need treatment as such if symptoms are persistent. Avoid the salt and alcohol as much as possible as they can contribute to swelling. Keeping legs elevated to heart level can be very effective.

I meant if symptoms are NOT persistent.

JACUSTOMER-kb4y8vfq- :

Ok, I guess, it's just something I have to get used to. Thanks

Dr Jones :

Yes. Please ask if there are any doubts. Thank you. Regards and best luck.