Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I have a thickening of the skin,(kinda feels like leather and

Customer Question

I have a thickening of the skin,(kinda feels like leather and its on my right thigh), slightly purple splotchy coloring like a bruise but not, hot like an infection but does not look infected, the size of this is now approx. 4"x8" and it is very itchy / prickly, any idea what this might be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.

DocPhil213 :

Hello. I am sorry you are having this problem. How long has it been going on? Is it getting worse? Any fever/chills?

Customer :

Its been on my leg maybe 3 months but its doubled in size this last month , I have a bad back so Im on a lot of pain meds mophine / endocet . Been on meds since auto accident 2004 I dont think these have anything to do with my leg but wanted you to know its in my system just in case.

Customer :

Also yes have chills / sweats but I think they might be because of pain / meds maybe

DocPhil213 :

Hmm...sounds like you might have venous stasis changes. Basically because of break down of veins in legs, blood pools and accumulates then breaks down. This causes brown staining of skin (pigment from hemoglobin). This is nothing serious but the fever and chills are. If you are having fever and chills and it's not from the pain meds then this could be an infection of the skin like cellulitis. That would tend to be more red and inflamed though. PK

Customer :

I have seen cellulitis this is not that thankfully, the color is dark purple like a bruise only it is not a bruise , it is warm like a fever but looking at it it does not look infected, I have a spider vein in one leg from waitressing as a teen this is nothing like that, also I have seen the brown staining your talking about again this is nothing like what is on my leg, any other thoughts?

Customer :

DocPhil213 ? you there ?

Customer :

Do you have any other ideas on what this might be I am positive it is not cellulitis, any thoughts what it might be?

Customer :

I have to change shirts 2 to 3 times a day from the sweating almost instantly I get chills constant cycle, its not like under my arms it is from neck to belly button

DocPhil213 :

Cellulits can take many forms. With this severe fever, sweating and chills I am worried about an infection. There are lots of things it could be. Could also be a blood clot. Could be purpura from an autoimmune disease. I am worried though, that it might be cellulitis. I would ask you to get evaluated ASAP.

Customer :

OK I will make appointment with my pc in morning, thank you for your help, What is purpura ?

DocPhil213 :

Purpura is like a big superficial bruise. Can be caused by certain infections and autoimmune stuff. Your doc will be able to identify that too.

DocPhil213 :

Don

Customer :

ok thank you will get back to you when I have followed thru with him, thanks again have a nice evening.

DocPhil213 :

Don't forget also that if this in an infection that has been there for a long time, it might look how you described. PK

DocPhil213 :

You are welcome. Good luck to you. I hope it's nothing to worry about. PK

DocPhil213 :

Don't forget to accept and leave feedback. Please ask more ? if you have them. thanks. PK

DocPhil213 :

Don't forget to accept and leave feedback. Please ask more ? if you have them. Thanks