Dr PG (M.D.)
Dr PG (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  MD since 1997

does carbonated water aid to dehydration. i was told that

does carbonated water aid to dehydration. i was told that it does so if it does what is the biochemisry to back this statement.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr PG (M.D.) replied 3 years ago.

Dr PG (M.D.) :

hi

Dr PG (M.D.) :

a pure carbonated water does not cause dehydration

Dr PG (M.D.) :

if there are additives present like caffeine (in cola), then that can cause dehydration

Dr PG (M.D.) :

this is due to the diuretic action of caffeine

Dr PG (M.D.) :

causing frequent urination and dehydration

Customer :

iwas told by my accupuncturist that carbonated water dehydrates u, i have a lot of muscle issues and he thought that dehydration to muscles does not help with muscle health, he asked me how much water i drink which is i think alot, but when he found out that i drank carbonated water he told me that it contributed to dehydratuin. i am a believer in eastern medicine, but i am also a nurse, i think practices should be combined, i say this to show i am not prejudiced. but if it does cause dehydration there must be some biochemical process that occurs. the co2 does not interact in the kidneys some how, or nahco3 affecting water release or the acidity that it is claimed to cause in the stomach does not affect water release from the body.

Dr PG (M.D.) :

i agree with you, that all body processes need a biochemical back up

Dr PG (M.D.) :

but, carbonated water contains pure compressed carbon dioxide, which is not dehydrating as such

Customer :

so you r saying that you do not see a chemical reaction of some sort in the body that co2 would cause for one to loose water?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

if you have muscle issues, then have you been investigated for decreased electrolytes like potassium, calcium deficiency, magnesium deficiency, vitamin B12, conenzyme Q deficiency etc?

Customer :

well i have had back surgery and needless to say i have some muscle issues left from that, it was about 13 years ago, an L5S1 fusion. i as a whole have done well, but i require maintenance, this is why i went to this accupuncturist, i have a lot of trigger points, i will consider the supplemants you suggested, i do already take a calcium supplement.

Dr PG (M.D.) :

if you are having localized muscle issues specially in the area operated, then that cannot be attributed to dehydration

Dr PG (M.D.) :

but if you are having generalized problem in the body muscles, then that can be due to dehydration

Dr PG (M.D.) :

for that continue the good water intake, take potassium rich diet (bananas, gatorade, oral rehydration solution), magnesium, coenzyme Q supplements etc

Dr PG (M.D.) :

but if the problem persists then you need to reviewed by your medical specialist to look for any specific deficiencies

Customer :

well they are not directly at the area but as you know things snowball, tenseness and biomechanical dysfunction all contribute to other muscles having problems, what does coenzyme q do?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

coenzyme Q is needed for the contraction of muscles in the body

Customer :

what if the muscle is hypertonic, is it for muscle function where it would help with contraction and relaxation?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

it is basically for normal contraction of muscle

Customer :

so hypertonicity is not normal, maybe it would help the muscle achieve normal contraction?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

hypertonicity is definitely nor normal

Customer :

do you think that the enzyme would aid the hypertonic muscle achieve a more normal function, or is that a stretch?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

what muscles are hypertonic or contracted in your body?

Customer :

muscles in my back, the long muscles, not sure of the names, but it extends a good length of the back, from maybe under scapula to lower back. i do a RS medical muscle treatment every night and stretch, blah blah blah, but am always looking to keep myself as functional and pain free as possible.

Dr PG (M.D.) :

are your symptoms worse in the morning?

Customer :

sometimes, not always, alot of activity can cause me to be sore, sitting for to long. i would rather remain as active as i can, i have found as a whole that doing nothing really does not help. i am better exercising, etc.

Dr PG (M.D.) :

ok

Dr PG (M.D.) :

have you been evaluated for fibromyalgia?

Customer :

i am going to add magnesium to my supplements and see if i feel a difference, and continue with my sparkling water. thanx so much for your time!

Customer :

no i have never been evaluated for fibromyalgia, who would or what kind of doctor would diagnose that?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

you are most welcome

Dr PG (M.D.) :

glad to be of help

Dr PG (M.D.) :

you can be evaluated for fibromyalgia by your medical specialist or by a pain specialist

Dr PG (M.D.) :

it is a very under diagnosed condition and can occur after prolonged illness, any surgery etc

Customer :

ok thanx, i will investigate that!

Dr PG (M.D.) :

welcome again

Dr PG (M.D.) :

all the best

Dr PG (M.D.) :

do remember to click on the accept button to complete the transaction

Dr PG (M.D.) :

for any other queries, do feel free to get in touch again

Customer :

ok will do!

Dr PG (M.D.), Doctor
Experience: MD since 1997