Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.

I am having severe Muscle spasms on my left side middle of

I am having severe Muscle spasms on my left side middle of back only it is very painful and it hurts more when i try to stand or move my neck in the downward position. What Could it be it is also radiating to my left side?

I can understand your anxiety.

We need to consider few causes. I would first like to rule out irritation of the nerve {at spine level}. The spine consists of vertebrae and intervertbral discs { soft tissue cushion if I may say }. The cord or bunch of nerves in simple word passes through the spinal canal { formed by vertebral body in front and ring like posterior part around }. Any bone spur of displacement or bulge of the disc cause pressure over the cord which results in symptoms like pain / numbness / tingling due to nerve irritation. The nerves leave the spinal canal through small rounded openings laterally. Pinching of these nerve roots can occur at this level too.

The other causes like muscle sprain/ inflammation at pleura/ dehydration, vitamin or calcium deficiency also need to be ruled out.

Few investigations like MRI cervical spine, blood tests, x ray chest will give us the diagnosis. Treatment will follow.

Till than have balanced diet, adequate fluid/ avoid postures which trigger pain/ avoid alcohol, smoking/ anti inflammatory tabs will help.

Please do not worry, you will be fine soon. God bless

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.

I will opt out so that some other expert will help you better.