Dr PG (M.D.)
Dr PG (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  MD since 1997
9208484

I just got my results from my yearly papsmear. Clue cess

I just got my results from my yearly papsmear. "Clue" cess suggestive of bacterial vaginosis were the result. I just googled 'bacterial vaginosis' and it appears to be a fairly common infection. Treated with Flagyl

Yet, my doctor prescribed AZIWOK for me, and I have been taking it for 4 days now. After googling AZIWOK I see that it is the treatment for STD. Do I have clamidya?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr PG (M.D.) replied 3 years ago.

Dr PG (M.D.) :

hi

Dr PG (M.D.) :

welcome to just answer

Dr PG (M.D.) :

are you present online

Customer :

hi

Customer :

Do I need to know the answer before 'accepting' it?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

yes, i will tell you the answer first

Dr PG (M.D.) :

basically, azithromycin is the antibiotic in AZIWOK

Dr PG (M.D.) :

it is used to treat various bacterial infections

Customer :

Here are the other results of my pap.

Customer :

Background:

Customer :

Scanty red blood cells. Moderate number of neutrophils

Customer :

Squamous cell morphology

Dr PG (M.D.) :

ok

Customer :

Reactive squamous cells. Superficial and intermediate cells present

Dr PG (M.D.) :

ok

Customer :

Gladnular Morphology

Dr PG (M.D.) :

it seems that basically you have a vaginal infection, mostly bacyerial

Customer :

Endocervical cells normal

Customer :

What is that exactly and what causes it?

Customer :

It is a pre-std?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

the common treatment for this is to give antibiotics like flagyl (metronidazole), doxycycline, azithromycin

Dr PG (M.D.) :

azithromycin, given to you, is for general bacterial infection

Dr PG (M.D.) :

not targeting any specific STD

Dr PG (M.D.) :

what can happen is that insome patients with a pre-existing STD, a superadded bacterial infection of vagina/cervix can occur

Dr PG (M.D.) :

in those cases this drug again helps

Customer :

Do the rest of my results indicate any other problems?

Customer :

As far as I know I have never had an STD.

Dr PG (M.D.) :

no, they are mostky normal, indicating a mild infection

Customer :

Should I be concerned? Any precautions I should take?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

yes, there are a few precuations that you can take, because if you have a bacterial infection, then there are chances of reocurrence in furture

Dr PG (M.D.) :

avoid intercourse for a few days

Dr PG (M.D.) :

wash your vaginal area with plain water

Dr PG (M.D.) :

do not use any soap or chemicals

Dr PG (M.D.) :

wear cotton undergarments

Dr PG (M.D.) :

if your undergarments gets soiled by any discharge, change it

Dr PG (M.D.) :

drink good amount of fluids etc

Dr PG (M.D.) :

this should help in preventing further infections ad also for a quick recovery for the present infection

Customer :

Ok, thanks. My doctor did not think I needed to be re-examined again until next year. Is that normal? Shouldn't I go back for a follow-up visit to see if the infection is gone?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

ideally a examination should be done after 48 hours of the last dose of antibiotic

Dr PG (M.D.) :

but if your doctor feels there is no need, then you might be having a mild infection

Dr PG (M.D.) :

if you have any symptoms like itching, discharge, fouls smell etc then you can go for a repeat check up

Dr PG (M.D.) :

hope this information is helpful

Customer :

3 days before my pap, I was diagnosed with a Urine tract infection. I was taking OFLOX-400 before switching to the other med

Customer :

Could these infections be connected? Or are they 2 different things?

Customer :

I only took 3 days of the 5 day treatment of OFLOX-400 before swicthing to AZIWOK

Dr PG (M.D.) :

what symptoms did you have when you were diagnosed with urinary tract infection

Customer :

I am supposed to go back to have another urine test tomorrow. Will the AZIWOK interfer with the Urine test?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

yes, ideally you need to give a urine sample after 48 hours of last dose, otherwise a false negative result might appear

Customer :

I originally went to the doctor thinking I had malaria. The malaria test was negative. The doc said I had the flu, but also noticed that my blood pressure was high. He ordered a round of tests because of the high blood pressure. EKG, Echo, blood and urine. All of the tests turned out fine, except the urine came back with infection.

Customer :

At the same time, I went to my OBGYN for my annual pap and mammogram.

Dr PG (M.D.) :

ok

Dr PG (M.D.) :

did you have any vaginal itching, vaginal burning, pain/burning while passing urine, any lower pelvic pain etc?

Customer :

no symptoms except lower pelvic and back pain.

Customer :

but it was near to my period.

Dr PG (M.D.) :

ok

Dr PG (M.D.) :

sometimes a vaginal infection can mimic symptoms of UTI (urinary tract infetion)

Dr PG (M.D.) :

also rarely if the vaginal area is not cleaned properly before taking a urine sample or if a midstream sample is not taken, then a false positive result for urine infection might occur

Customer :

He was surprised by the UTI because everything else turned out fine. I even did the test twice on different days to double check.

Dr PG (M.D.) :

so, you might be having a vaginal infection, which might have come positive for UTI

Dr PG (M.D.) :

ok

Dr PG (M.D.) :

or both infections might be present, which is a little unusual without any symptoms

Dr PG (M.D.) :

i would now recomend you to wait for your antibiotic course to get complete, then get a urine test done after 48 hours of the last antibiotic dose

Dr PG (M.D.) :

but this time, make sure to clean your vaginal area properly before taking urine sample and take a midstream sample

Dr PG (M.D.) :

ideally an early morning sample is recommended

Customer :

Now, what about my husband? Does he need to be checked for anything? Although you say this isn't a STD is there a chance he might have an infection? (We haven't had sex while I have been on the meds)

Customer :

OK, thanks. Also my doctor said the sample had to be taken first thing in the morning. Is that right?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

yes, as I said an early morning sample is preferred

Dr PG (M.D.) :

yes, your husband should also be evaluated, to rule out any remotepossibility of STD

Customer :

So just to be clear, I have taken 3 days of OFLOX-400 and 4 days of AZIWOK. I have not finished either 5 day round as prescribed. But I have taken over 5 days of antibiotics. Should I finish both meds (3 more days) before taking another urine test? Or ?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

yes, you should finish the present course of antibiotics

Customer :

I really appreciate your help. May I ask where you are from?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

if you had discontinued oflex, and 24 hours have passed since the last dose, there is no benefit of taking the rest of the pills of oflox now

Dr PG (M.D.) :

i am glad to be of help

Dr PG (M.D.) :

I am from India

Customer :

What kind of antibiotic is OFLEX?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

oflox is a fluroquinolone and is very good for urine infection

Customer :

Thank you very much. Do you have any other advice for me before I log off?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

you are most welcome

Dr PG (M.D.) :

just follow the precautions I advised, wait for 48 hours after last dose of antibiotic before the urine test and take the sample after properly cleaning the vaginal area

Dr PG (M.D.) :

that shouild help

Dr PG (M.D.) :

hope you get well soon

Dr PG (M.D.) :

now you can go ahead and accept the answer for complete transaction

Customer :

One more question, please. What kind of test will my husband need? Is it a urine test, blood test, etc? What should be request when he goes to the doctor?

Dr PG (M.D.) :

first your husband needs to be examined by a doctor and then if required a urine test might be needed

Customer :

ok, thank you.

Dr PG (M.D.), Doctor
Experience: MD since 1997