IMDR06, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine Physician and HIV Physician

I have a dry spot/tickle in my throat that is not constantly

I have a dry spot/tickle in my throat that is not constantly there. I comes like a fit an increases until I cough to the excess of gagging and vomiting. The dry spot increasingly gets worse over the coarse of a few minutes. Which ever side I feel the dryness on is also the eye that starts to just run. The entire event lasts about 10 minutes. I had to pull my car over on the highway. This happens a few times a day, for about 7 days now. The event has happen in a variety of places (work, home, friends house). No history of allergies. Quit smoking two yrs ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  IMDR06 replied 5 years ago.

Do you clear your throat a lot?

Do you tend to have this coughing attacks more often in the early morning as well as evenings?

Dr. Sciberras

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've been clearing my throat only since this started about a week ago. The attacks oocur during the day mostly. I did happen one evening about 6pm.
Expert:  IMDR06 replied 5 years ago.

If you are clearing your throat a lot, it is most likely one of two things.

You could be having silent reflux, where the heartburn silently and painlessly refluxes up, burning your lower throat, and causing the dry tickle and cough as well as throat clearing. This can be treated with anti-reflux medicine.

You may also have postnasal drip. Again, it causes the same symptoms. There could be a new allergen in the environment which you are not aware you are allergic too, or also if you had a recent cold, postnasal drip can occur afterwards. This can be easily treated with a steroid nasal spray such as Flonase.

I would put my money on one of these two diagnoses,

I hope this helps,

Dr. Sciberras