Dr.Hussey
Dr.Hussey, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS-1(R). Have been with patients of medicine all through my career
39815606

I have had diarrhea after every meal at least for over 6 weeks,

I have had diarrhea after every meal at least for over 6 weeks, I have had a colonoscopy last week and they didnt see anything abnormal, any ideas what it could be or what I can try to do to stop it?
Hello!
Hope I would be of great help to you and will try my best to be up to your expectations .

Sorry to hear about your problem

Well there are few causes of chronic diahhrrea, that cannot be picked on colonoscopy. These include
Infections e.g giardia
Bacterial overgrowth in small intestine
Fat malabsorption
Lactose intolerance
Hyperthyroidism
Addisson's disease

Some investigations should be done to rule out these causes. These include
Stool RE
Stool for ova and cyst
Stool culture and sensitivity
Thyroid profile
Fat content in stool
Hydrogen Breath test

If these investigations do not yield any positive result , then diagnosis of IBS i.e Irritable Bowel Syndrome must be considered. Also I have not mentioned those causes which I believe have been already ruled out by the normal colonoscopy .
Your best course would be to visit a gastroenterologist who could examine you and have a look at the test results to reach a diagnosis.

This conversation is open till the time you are satisfied. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Best of luck...Take care.

Do click ACCEPT if you find the answer useful for you. In this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Clicking accept will not cost you anything. Bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have also had stool sample sent to labs for tests and they are clear, the gastroenterologist has taken bloods i am awaiting to hear back from these what could these be for? is there anything i can do in the meantime?
Thanks for your question.

The blood may have been sent for doing thyroid profile or to check for ion levels in the body that can be disturbed in Addison's disease. These tests can give a lead towards a possible cause of your symptoms.
In the meantime, you should consume a high fiber diet including rice, barley, potatoes, carrots, turnips, beets, mushrooms, bananas, mangoes, papayas etc. This is mostly Soluble fiber which is good for IBS and your symptoms in general.

Best of luck...Take care.