Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

Will apap/codeine 300-30mg sub for tylenol/cod #3 tab show

Customer Question

Will apap/codeine 300-30mg sub for tylenol/cod #3 tab show up in a urine test as an oxycodone?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Charogat :

hi#

Dr. Charogat :

Hi, and thank you for coming to JustAnswer.com with your question.

Dr. Charogat :

Both of the medications you listed are the same thing. One is the 'trade name' and the other is the generic.

Dr. Charogat :

If you are taking a drug test then they always ask what medications you have taken etc. if you show them you have a prescription for Tylenol/cod #3 (AKA T3) there should be no problem at all.

Dr. Charogat :

G-d Bless

Dr. Charogat :

end#

Dr. Charogat :

If you are satisfied with my answer please click 'accept' so that I can be paid. BONUSES and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are not expected, but are always appreciated.

Dr. Charogat :

If you have any follow-up questions feel free to ask them.

Dr. Charogat :

________________________

Expert:  Family Physician replied 3 years ago.
I would have to respectfully XXXXX XXXXX the answer provided by the other expert.

I believe that she misunderstood your question. Tylenol with Codeine and APAP/Codeine are the same medication, HOWEVER this medication will NOT cause your drug test to show positive for oxycodone.

Oxycodone is a synthetic opiate, and it does not have the same metabolic pathway as codeine. A drug test can indeed differentiate between codeine and oxycodone.

A prescription for codeine will NOT be accepted as a valid medical explanation for a drug screen in which oxycodone was identified.

You should also know, that a drug test needs to be confirmed with GC/MS (or the similar LC/MS) to be valid. If the test was an "instant" or "on-site" dipstick method - the type of test done with immunoassays, you can get false positives. The GC/MS confirmation eliminates all of the false positive tests.

If you have taken oxycodone, and your test was positive for oxycodone, your prescription for codeine will NOT be accepted as a valid excuse.
Thank you FP. Actually, I guess I was not clear enough in saying that. My point was that just like T3 would not show up as oxycodone, so too apap/cod would not. Therefore, if oxycodone showed up it would NOT be as a result of ingestion of the apap/codeine.

I have reread my answer and understand how it could have been misunderstood. So to summarize it clearly:
If you were taking apap/codeine and you drug screen showed up as such, but you were able to show a prescription then it would be no problem. If you were taking apap/codeine and there was oxycodone in your test then the prescription would not explain anything.

G-d Bless

________________________

Edited by Dr. Charogat on 2/6/2011 at 11:06 PM EST