Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MS

my mother is 85 years old and needs shoulder replacement .

my mother is 85 years old and needs shoulder replacement . Is this practical ? and what is the recuperation period? We are worried she is too old for the post op and the surgery. But she is in excruciating pain now. Any alternatives?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 5 years ago.

Does she need it for arthritis of the joint?
Have you tried any other treatment for her?
Is she otherwise healthy and active?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the bones have just deteriated .no arthritis she has had shots but they did not help.She is in good health. but has had radiation for cancer and has bowel troubles fron her colon being scarred back in 1973. She has chronic diarrea from this and We are worried the post surgery will cause these problems to be worst. this has happened when she has surgery before.

Thanks for the information. I am an orthopedic surgeon and would be glad to give my opinion based on the information you have provided.
If she is in good health and pain such that it interferes with activities of daily living and causes deterioration in quality of life she should go ahead with the surgery.
There are risks associated with surgery but risks would be decreased if she does not suffer from any other chronic disease and the expected improvement in quality of life justifies the risk.
Recuperation can take anywhere from 6 weeks to 12 weeks depending upon how enthusiastic the patient is post surgery.