Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

how long does it take for dilaudid and oxycontin not to show

how long does it take for dilaudid and oxycontin not to show in a urine test? thank you
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.

Greetings.

Dilaudid and Oxycontin both are eliminated from body in 21-24 hours and would not show in urine after that.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the last time i used dilaudid was tuesday and the last time i used oxycontin20mg was 6am thursday and they both showed on my urine test friday. y would that b? my next urine test is monday and that one is for work and i am very worried. the test i have to take is either 35190n sap 10-50/2000 w/nit or 22866n medpro B panel i'm not sure which, do u know what they test for

The only reason for them showing even after 24 hours is slow elimination due to following;

1) Taking other over the counter medicines like Tylenol or Ibuprofen which slows the elimination.

2) Alcohol; can decrease the rate of excretion.

3) Liver or kidney diseases may slow the rate of excretion of these medicines.

Oxycontin elimination sometimes is dose dependent and people who are taking it for very long time in high doses may show it even after 24 hours. The tests you had mentioned are Substance abuse panel tests done for 10 drugs.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have een sick so i have been taking tylenol and motrin along with levoquin and alka-selter cold medicine. so should the medications be out of my system for monday or do i need to worry. also with the 10 drugs tested, do u know what they r? thank u for your help and patients

Yes, your drugs should be out of system by Monday.

You would be tested for; AMPHETAMINES, BARBITURATES, BENZODIAZEPINES, COCAINE, MARIJUANA, METHADONE, OPIATES, PHENCYCLIDINE, PROPOXYPHENE.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
should i stop taking tylenol and motrin? does the other medicine i'm on have any of those drugs in them that r on the drug test. sorry to be a bother. just this is all new to me and i'm worried. is there anything i can do to get this stuff out of my system faster? thank u again.

You are welcome.

Stopping all the medicines and drinking lot of fluids would help. Though Oxycontin and Dilaudid would be definitely eliminated by now. None of the other medicines you are taking (except oxycontin, Dilaudid) are in the panel.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience: MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank u very much have a good night.

You are most welcome.

Good night.

Good luck.

Expert:  Family Physician replied 3 years ago.
I would have to disagree with the other expert on the detection period for these drugs. Drug tests are aimed at the metabolites of the drug, not the drug itself. For this reason, the detection period for opiates is typically in the 3 day range (rather than the 24 hours reported by the other expert)

This review article from the Mayo Clinic Proceedings lists a detection period for oxycodone of 2-4 days.
http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/content/83/1/66/T2.expansion.html

Edited by FamilyPhysician on 2/6/2011 at 5:34 AM EST