Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

Do people with bipolar disorder say things that didnt really

Do people with bipolar disorder say things that didnt really happen to hurt someone?
Submitted: 5 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 5 years ago.
Hello
give me more detail please
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My wife can be the most loving person in the world for a period of time in the month but then every month it gets to a point where she is a totally different person. Saying very mean things wanting a divorce and saying stuff shes done that she hasn't I just want to know if people with bipolar say things to purposly hurt people, She also has a family history of bipolar
This would not be necessarily purposeful.
If bi-polar even psychotic features can occur so it can be an extremely serious illness in need of medical treatment.
Mood swings can be characteristic, but euphoria alternating with a period of depression is the classic.
The other behavior could be an additional related problem as well or be part of bi-polar.
The only way to determine this is if she is willing to see a professional and have some testing.
This would have to be approached when she is receptive.

let me know if you have further questions
good luck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
could serious depression cause the out burst of hate towards me?
YES
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there something i can do or say to help?
No based on what you described simply being supportive of her getting assistance....especially with the family history....also have other family members who you both trust...if any...get involved to get her professional help....enlist any services available to you in this regard as well.
good luck again