Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  Several years of clinical experience in all fields of Medicine.
11246089

I have lower back pain on both sides of my spine. The pain

Customer Question

I have lower back pain on both sides of my spine. The pain is constantly dull and there are you can feel lumps on each side of my spine about 2" from each side. What is this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 5 years ago.
Hello, welcome to just answer and thank you for your question.

Do you have fever?

Are the lumps soft or hard?

How big are the lumps?

Since when are you having?

I am still available online to answer your queries after I get the above info.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No fever. Hard lumps, you have to press onto the back to feel them, they don't stick out. I would say the mass is a little smaller than a ping pong ball, not completely round. This has been going on for 2-3 weeks now. The pain is dull all the time and gets sharper with movement.
Another question: Did you accidentally fall down or you suddenly noticed this lump?

How many of such lumps do you have?

Is there pain over the spine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They are like a mass knot type of lump. Both sides of the back have a lump/knot in the same spot but the one side has a little one on top of the big one. When I press on them they hurt, but there is no pain on the spine. No I did not fall down.
Alright. Thanks for all that info. I just wanted to make sure if these lumps could be infective , traumatic or something else.

I presume these lumps could be on the spinal nerves and so they are painful.

I would advise you to see ap physician and get an MRI of the back done as soon as possible. This is important to know if these lumps continue within the spinal canal / cord.
My assumption is paraspinal benign tumors like schwanoma or neurofibroma.

It was a pleasure assisting you.Please press the "GREEN ACCEPT" button to accept the answer. FEEDBACK and BONUS would be highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
These lumps are inside my back, they don't look like warts or anything.
Yes, I understand that . These lumps are likely to be arising from the nerves inside your back in the paraspinal areas. They are not visible and only felt by palpation.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What would the symptoms be if I had a schwanoma tumor?
An initial symptom of a spinal cord tumor will be the sensation of progressive back pain. Back pain can develop even if a patient hasn't exerted himself, and it may also become worse when lying down. If a tumor becomes large, the spinal nerves can become compressed. As a result, a patient can experience tingling sensations, numbness, weakness and pain.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Don't you think it is odd that I have this on each side of my back in the same spot symetrical to my spine? How likely is it that I have 2 tumors, 1 on each side of my spine?

It is most commonly bilateral and usually occurs in symmetrical positions because they arise from the spinal nerves at the same level.

Do not be reluctant but get a clinical examination done by a physician as of now and follow up with an X ray and an MRI scan.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
What else do you want to know? Do you have anything else in mind?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could this be muscle related, because the pain seems to be relieved with muscle relaxing cream.
It can be muscle related. You misguided me because you specifically mentioned that you feel lumps. This made me think that these could be something serious and attended to immediately.

If you do not feel a definite lump but only tightness in the parspinal muscles on either side aggravated with activity, these are likely to be muscle spasms. Take zanaflex which is a muscle relaxant and it will help you to get rid of the spasms and lumpy sensation.

i hope my answer makes sense now.

Please press the "GREEN ACCEPT" button to accept the answer. FEEDBACK and BONUS would be highly appreciated.