Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MS
4931939

how long does it take to heal a throat burn from acid reflux Thanks

how long does it take to heal a throat burn from acid reflux?
Thanks
Jean
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 3 years ago.
Hello

In normal course it should not take more than a couple of days for the burning sensation to get better.
If it is not getting better you may need to increase antacid dose for some time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how much time would it take to heal with increased medication

It is possible that you are getting suatined increased acidity which is causing the sensation as only one incident of reflux would not cause persistnet feeling of throat burn.
To control this you may need several weeks of increased medication.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can I possibly have inflammation at the top end of my esophagus. Can gargling help? I don't have problems swallowing at all. Would a heat pad on the throat help. Any other suggestions? I tried to gargle with regular mouth wash and it made it worse...
Yes it is possible that upper esophagus is inflamed with acid reflux.
Gargle usually would not reach the upper end of esophagus and would not be helpful.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The why when I gargle with salt water does it feel better and not burning? Perhaps because of this it is more in my throat than esophagus?
Yes the gargle would remain in the throat area and make you feel better rather than burning.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But does this mean that it is more in my throat than esophagus since you indicated that gargling would not have an effect on my esophagus?
Salty water decreases the edema by acting as hygroscopic solution.If the upper esophagus is inflamed the throat is likely to be edematous to an extent because throat is in continuity with esophagus.That is why the salt water makes you feel better.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I mostly get the burning at the Adams apple is this the spot for the esophagus. Will the inflammation take at least 4 weeks to heal? Why does it not burn during the night and only when I have been up for a while. Is it because I am swallowing saliva that starts to irritate it? Can position of the neck be another cause. I read a lot. I also do a lot of neck exercises. I have also been taking chewable vitamins of late. Can these irritate?
It is not possible to pinpoint the area of involvement using external landmarks.
As I said earler it does not seem like a one time exposure to acid causing the burning , it is rather a recurrent exposure to stomach acid which would cause persistent burning sensation.
Saliva or neck position would not cause irritation.Relief with lying down and symptoms with upright position is unusual as it is usually the opposite.Chewable vitamins can cause increased acidity.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Could inflammation on its own cause the burring without acid touching it? Is it possible to get phlegm from the esophagus and what would it look like. How do I tell the difference between phleghm from my nasal passages and the esophagus. At times I have pheghm with large bubbles.
Acid would cause inflammation.
You cannot tell the difference between phlegm from stomach or nasal passage.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would I get lots of pheghm in the throat with esophagus inflammation? Finally, would a hot or cold compress on the throat be helpful. Also, do you have any other suggestions to speed up the healing of the throat burn.
Yes you can get a lot of phlegm in throat with esophagus inflammation.
Hot or cold compress may helpn throat pain but would not cause the inflammtion inside the food pipe to decrease.
Best way would be to increase the antacid dose.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will it take at least 4 weeks or more to heal. I am almost expecting a quick fix but if I know that it will be longer term I won't worry as much. I don't have any other symptoms so should I treat this as a reasonably common occurrence.
By the way, I am appreciating your time and service :) Thank you very much for your patience with me.....
Yes this is common with patients who have reflux and this can take a few weeks to settle.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you suggest gargling with salt water and does inflammation of upper esophagus in the throat feel like a burring sensation even though there is no acid on it? I have been taking double nexus 80 mg for a couple of days now.... Is is unusual to be feeling burring in the throat as opposed to closer to the stomach?
I do not think that salt water would really help but if you get symptomatic relief you may continue using it..
It is not unusual for burning to be present in throat.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So I should not be concerned?
It should get better as it does in vast majority of patients with similar problems.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much for your help Doctor. I am very pleased with this service and will use it again. Will I be able to reach you specifically if I wish. Finally, Do you have any final suggestions for my healing process?
Yes you can request for Dr.Sawhney in your question.

I have already told what i had to tell.
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,MS