Dr.Hussey
Dr.Hussey, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS-1(R). Have been with patients of medicine all through my career
39815606

I keep having lower back pain that radiates around to my hips,

Customer Question

I keep having lower back pain that radiates around to my hips, it will last anywhere from 2 days to a week at a time. it hurts to cough and its gotten so bad that my husband has to physically help me out of bed and its extremely painful with movement or no movement
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 6 years ago.
Hello!
Hope I would be of great help to you and will try my best to be upto your expectations .

Sorry to hear about your problem

Well it seems to be a case of Sciatic nerve compression commonly called Sciatica. This occurs when one or more than one root of the sciatic nerve arising from the lumbar vertebra gets compressed . this compression can occur due to a disc problem like disc protrusion or disc prolapse or can be due to vertebral problem like arthritis of the joints or foraminal stenosis. Some tests should be done to reach diagnosis. These include
MRI of the lumbar spine
Nerve conduction studies

Your best course would be to visit a spinal surgeon who could confirm the diagnosis. Physical therapy would be your best option afterwards.

This conversation is open till the time you are satisfied. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Best of luck...Take care.

Do click ACCEPT if you find the answer useful for you. In this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Clicking accept will not cost you anything. Bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
would sciatica also cause some stiffness also
Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 6 years ago.
Yes, this would cause stiffness as well. it ca cause a variety of symptoms and can present in a variety of ways. You must undergo an MRI to reach a diagnosis.
I hope it helps

Best of luck...Take care.